Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I am not going to be of GREAT help BUT when I had RAI treatment done 10yrs ago (I was 13) my family doctor took care of all of that. She did my blood work and thyroid check ups every three months (of course after RAI it was more like every 2wks then a month then 3 months). It was only until last year I started seeing an endo at my own will because of a weight problem that my family doctor didn’t know what else she could do. At any rate, I wasn’t put connected to my people who did my RAI but…. yea…. my endo’s team (been seeing “the assistant” not the actual ENDO) recently has made me feel passed along too like “oh well” so…. I am probably going to be seeking out a new endo if I don’t get the concern/care at my next appointment with the ACTUAL endo. I will tell you what though…. I have learned you need to be firm and clear on what you want to know. I am a passive person usually but after an experience I am currently working through with being overmedicated and body being out of whack, I am not going to be afraid to talk again! :) At any rate, I hope someone has an answer for you.

Anonymous

I had my RAI two weeks ago today. In the area that I live in there are no endocrinologist so my family doctor is taking care of me. I asked the nuclear physician if he would be seeing me from now on and he said he would not be and that I should see my doctor at the end of this month. Has anyone here experienced muscle weakness? I have fallen so many times do to the weakness. PenE

Anonymous

Two months is the normal time between doc visits – to allow time for your body to adjust to different thyroid hormone levels. However, my thyroid died at the 6 week mark and I wound up in the emergency room with a TSH of 131! I was very, very hypo and barely able to function. I have had an Endo, nuclear med doc, family physician all involved at one point. My Endo took care of me until I found a FP that knew a lot about Graves and was willing to monitor my levels every other month. I have never heard of a nuclear med. doctor doing any follow-up work – I never saw mine again after the RAI. Remember, you are the client here, and sometimes we have to push to have our needs met. Hope you get on Synthroid real soon! Joy in NoGA mtns.

Anonymous

Okay – I’ve had GD for a while but wasn’t diagnosed until Aug 2003…..did the ATD for a while and just had my RAI on 04/15/04. Not taking anything at all until I get my blood work done in mid-June. I have a few questions:

1) Did anyone have to wait 2 months to do their 1st blood work to see if they are hypo after RAI? I feel like I should do one now – it’s been 1 month and I feel like crap!

2) The nuclear medicine Dr who administered my RAI said that I don’t have to see my endo anymore since he’ll be the one prescribing me my synthetic hormone and not my endo?? Is this weird? I thought my endo would be involved forever??? Not a nuclear medicine doctor???

I’m not sure how all hospitals work but I feel like my endo just passed me along to the nuclear med doctor and is done with me??? What should I do? Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.