Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 262 total)
  • Author
    Online Facilitator

Thanks for checking in! Sorry for the rough night, but sounds like everything else went off without a hitch. Best wishes as you move into “Phase 3”! You should get a special pin or something for going through ALL three treatment options! :-)

SueAndHerZoo

I got very little sleep (if any) my night in the hospital but I made up for it once I got home…. I’m sure you will, too. :)

Happy healing!
        Sue

sarawebberdurnell

It has been a great comfort to read these posts and see how you are doing after surgery. I have been scheduled for my TT on Feb. 10th. I didn’t expect it so soon, so I am a little nervous, but I am ready to start feeling better. I seem to be getting new “symptoms” every week and am ready to rid myself of this part of the roller coaster. I am glad things went so well for you. I was a little worried about the incision, so it is good to hear that yours is not a bother so far. I also love your idea of the app. I’m totally going to have to “borrow” that idea from you. Thanks for your inspiration!

And bless you all for battling this for so long. I cannot imagine the strength it takes, as mine has seriously waned in such a short time. My endo keeps telling me that because I have both Graves and Hashimoto’s it is more difficult to manage the meds. So I really think the best thing is to eliminate the organ they attack and regroup. I am ready to get my life back.

Sara

AzGravesGuy

It feels so good to sleep in my own bed! I had a great sleep and I feel better than I thought I would at this point.

I showered last night which felt awesome. I had a small amount of fresh blood seep under the tape but it was very minute and was not “gushing”. Today it looks fine. I refuse to stress out over it. The swelling is starting to go down today too. The puffy chin bag I woke up with after surgery is almost gone but the area below the incision is still tender.

My voice has returned enough to yell at the cat this morning, so life is almost back to normal. Lol!

Made my first “rookie” mistake. Got up, felt a little woozy so I chugged a protein shake then remembered….Synthroid is on an empty stomach, genius! So today, I messed up. Took the pill anyway.

This is the ONE thing I thought I would remember and I completely forgot. Tomorrow is another day. There is a big post-it on my fridge now that says “STOP!”

Sara, you’re going to do great with your surgery. I really thought it would be more traumatic and painful but it has honestly been no more painful to me than that tetanus shot was a few years ago. Day 2 after and I have a slight ache but nothing worth medicating. I plan on going for a short walk later and then spending the rest of the day watching Netflix. 48 hours after surgery and I am living life (at a slower pace, of course) with no complications. I know you will have a similar experience and we are here for you next month.

I dont know if it is the placebo effect but my outlook on things has changed even more so to positive. I am not terrified of the possibility of weight gain while I get stabilized. Before the surgery I was concerned. Now….eh. Just happy it is gone and nothing is going to ruin the joy I feel knowing that.

Sue, Kimberly, and Raspberry Thank you all for following along. Kowing you are all here kept me confident. I should have been scared of going “under the knife” but not being alone made it easier. Almost casual. I could not ask for more. Thank you!

Kimberly
            Online Facilitator

YAY for a great night’s sleep! And no worries on the first day slip-up…it always takes some extra effort to establish a new routine. You’ll get there!

sarawebberdurnell

Thanks AZGravesGuy :) I am glad you are feeling so well so soon. I’m sure everyone slips up taking new medications at one time or another. It is super encouraging that you are doing so well. I teach preschool and am only planning on taking a week or so off to recover, so hopefully I’ll have about the same outcome. I totally understand the “placebo” effect…after such a long battle, I imagine it is terribly refreshing to be “starting” over. My weight gain has been really bad since diagnosed, so I’m not too worried about that afterward. Plus, I imagine I’ll feel much like you do with a renewed sense of life :)

Sara

AzGravesGuy

Nothing really exciting to report except my face is now dry and flaky. That is unusual for me after being hyper and greasy for so many years.

I have a small amount of pink discharge under my tape that the dr has assured me is normal. Today it feels a little bit itchy, like the nerves are reconnecting. No swelling or discoloration at the incision.

My adams apple itself hurts today. My voice is still only 50% and tires out easily. I have also been assured this is temporary. The waiting game is frustrating as I miss being able to spew my usual brand of folksy sarcasm. Saying it in a whisper is not nearly as gratifying.

The Synthroid and a glass of water now live on my nightstand. When I get up it is the first thing I do. This seems to work best for me. I am sure once I get back into my work routine it will change again.

Aside from this, nothing new or exciting to report. This has been pretty boring as far as recoveries go. Lol! I guess that is a good thing.

LaurelM

Hi,
                    I have been taking my replacement the very last thing I do before I go to bed. I am find I am able to be pretty consistent this way. I have one of those weekly pill dispensers that reminds me of my grandmother. I load it up at the beginning of the week. I leave the lid up after I take a pill so it is easy to see at a glance if I have taken my pill. My endo actually recommended the evening as there is some fairly recent research that the replacement absorbs better overnight. I just have to be sure not to have eaten for 2 hours prior. Thisnis also curbing my late night snacking. LOL.

Glad your TT went well and you are on the road to recovery!

Laurel

SueAndHerZoo

I set my alarm for about 45 minutes before I have to get up. When it goes off I turn it off, reach for my pill and my water, and go back to sleep until the next alarm wakes me. I can eat and drink the minute I get up and don’t really lose any sleep…. I pretty much take the pill in my sleep.
                      Sue

snelsen

Hi AzGravesguy, you are doing great! Continue to take it easy, you are a happy end of a vERY LONG road!!!! Read my post to to rachelmay that I just wrote, if you need it. Sounds like you are doing super cool in your recovery!
                        So so glad and happy for you.
                        shirley

AzGravesGuy

Day 8 post TT.

I walked a mile today and it felt great. Afterward I was wiped out for about an hour. This too will get better.

My incision is starting to shrink under the tape. I have reached the itchy stage of healing for sure. I cannot wait for this tape to come off. It does not look as nice (fresh) as it did a week ago. The corners are peeling and collecting fuzz from my shirts. It is doing its job and well I might ad. My incision is clean and healing nicely. The tape just looks pretty bad.

My voice still has not recovered. Anything more than a loud whisper doesn’t happen. My voice tires out after squeaking/speaking for more than a few sentences at a time. Some times after I cough or sneeze ( sneezes are surprisingly painful) I can get a few minutes of a stronger voice but it fades every time. This is extremely frustrating but I was warned many times it could happen and that I would have to ride it out. It will come back, but with my lack of patience…it seems like it has been gone forever.

Have any other TT’ers here had lasting voice problems? What did you do to regain/retrain your voice? Am I overreacting for only being at day 8?

Pounds lost since surgery: none
                          Pounds gained: 1
                          Eh, whatever. I am so happy the darn thing is out and all the symptoms that made my life hell went with it, a little weight gain is nothing. It will drop off once I get on the right dose.

I can tell you right now I am not on enough Synthroid. The cold (40’s is cold for us here) really bothers me like it never did before and my face is flaky and dry. Both are unusual for me and coincidentally signs of hypo. Hooooray! The beast has been slain!

Bloodwork next Monday, Endo recheck next Friday.

Thank you all for your support and information. I appreciate it!

AzGravesGuy

Today I looked on my Aetna account and the hospital submitted a claim for just under $41,000.00

Kind of took my breath away.

For how I feel post TT, I would pay $100,000.00

Hopefully I won’t have to. Lol!

AzGravesGuy

This afternoon is my recheck with the surgeon. 11 days post op. Hopefully they will remove the tape today. I am kind of grossed out by it. Lol!

My incision itches, like nerves healing, today more than ever. Since there is almost no swelling left and the surrounding area is not discolored or bruised anymore…I really want it off today.

My voice is getting stronger every day. I read online that guys can be more affected by the surgery because our vocal chords are thicker. I think once the residual swelling goes down completely my voice will be back 100%.

After researching the symptoms I feel, I am not so sure I am “hypo” just yet, I think I am normal. It has been so long I have forgotten what normal is. Until I get my levels done, my mindset is to relax. Gone are the days when there was “always something wrong with me”. It is an adjustment I am happy to embrace.

Other than the voice issue, I feel better than great. I have not felt like “me” in many years. I have energy, I have ambition, I have hope. All of my Graves’ induced demons have been abolished and it is awesome.

LaurelM

Glad to see you are feeling well and recovering. I am sur the voice issues will resolve. Mine took a few weeks to be all better and seeing the Speech and Language Pathologist really helped. SLPs kind of have specialties too so if you need one, be sure they are the right one.

My sugeon had special bandage/tape removal goo. They took off my tape around this time so hopefully you can get rid of it. It does get bothersome.

Best wishes for continued recovery!
                                Laurel.

SueAndHerZoo

Hi there – so glad you’re enjoying your recovery! I had no issues with my voice (even in the hospital) but as you said, it may take longer for men.

I think you will find that it is going to become more difficult to judge your levels via your symptoms and you’ll have to go by blood work only for a while. The symptoms we get while on replacement thyroid hormone are different than when we were on thyroid blocker and they can overlap and get confusing. I went to one of my post-op check ups convinced that I was hypo and found I was still very HYPER. Isn’t it great that my blood showed I was hyper but I wasn’t freaking out with anxiety and psychiatric issues?????

As I’ve said to others, a bad day post-op feels so much better than a good day did pre-op. No comparison. I found the hardest part of the post-surgical process was that whenever I tweak my doses I get symptomatic for a few weeks but now that I know to expect it, it doesn’t effect me as badly as it used to. And I think I am overly sensitive to T4 so you may not notice any symptoms when changing dosages…. different for everyone.

My surgeon took off my tape at my first post-op check up (I think it was 10 days) and I was shocked that all she did was reach over and remove it. I didn’t feel a thing so I’m guessing it was pretty close to falling off.

Have a great weekend!
                                  Sue

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 262 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.