Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 262 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone,

Today I had my surgical consult with Dr. Van Lier Ribbink in Scottsdale.
      What an awesome experience!

Last week when I told my endo I was going to him, she said if she needed surgery, he is who she would choose.

After meeting Dr. Ribbink my confidence in surgery being the right choice for me has been magnified. He answered all my questions and was extremely friendly. None of the ego I am used to with the revolving door of endo’s I have seen over the years. I wish I had his name 9 years ago when I was diagnosed…I would be in a different place today.

Even so, no regrets. My Graves’ experience thus far has been a tremendous learning experience. No only have I learned more about my condition than I ever thought possible, I have learned more about what makes me tick as a person. With this combined understanding, I am kind of grateful things have gone the way they have. Dealing with the symptoms has forced me to become more “whole” as a person.

I am scheduled to get cut January 27th. Yes, that soon, pending the battery of presurgical tests all come back good. (Ekg, chest xray, and many many blood tests)

To say I am excited is an understatement. Even thrilled is putting it mildly. Any fears I have about the surgery itself have taken a back seat to the idea of eventually living a regulated, stable life.

I will keep all of you posted every step of the way. Right now I am off to go celebrate this new step towards being healthy again!

Rob

Kimberly
      Online Facilitator

I know this has been a looooong time in the works for you, so it’s great news that the consult went well and the doc was able to get you scheduled quickly! Looking forward to reading about this next phase of “Well, Here Goes…” – this is possibly the most viewed and commented thread in the history of the forum. :)

SueAndHerZoo

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I was fairly certain I wanted surgery so I insisted my endo refer me to a surgeon (he was pushing for RAI instead) and after my consult I was absolutely convinced I was making the right decision. And I was SO EXCITED about having it done, I was literally counting the days! People at work kept shaking their heads and looking at me as if I were crazy because when someone would casually say “Hi, how are you?” I’d answer with a song in my voice and say “Great! I’m having surgery in XX days!” LOL

On the way to the hospital that morning my husband was nervous and apprehensive and I was still skipping along eagerly wanting to get there. I don’t think the hospital has ever seen anyone more ready to be cut than I was. :)

Haven’t regretted it once and wish I had done it sooner, but as you said, the process happened exactly the way it was supposed to and I learned a lot along the journey.

I’m so excited for you – congratulations!
          Sue

sarawebberdurnell

It has been so nice to read all these posts!! I have found so much information out there, that I feel overwhelmed and lost. I am new to Graves (only diagnosed 6 months ago), but it has been awful. I also have the antibodies for Hashimoto’s, which is pulling symptoms from both sides. My endo and I have played the medication game and even though my numbers are smack in the middle of the normal range, I am still having weight gain issues, heat/cold intolerance, mood swings, rash on my face, massive joint pain, muscle weakness, and insomnia. I am not really eligible for RAI as my uptake was very low and would require a larger dose than my endo is comfortable with. So, she has told me we can keep playing the med game or have a TT. I have been back and forth on this decision, but am meeting with a surgeon tomorrow. These posts from everyone have been so helpful…makes me realize I am not losing my mind :) Thanks for posting such important information. And…I am in awe of all of you that have been fighting this battle for so long, makes me feel like a wimp after just 6 months (though my Dr., bless her heart, tells me that my situation is rare with both antibodies and says I’m not). Thanks again.

Sara

Raspberry

I’m so glad for you AZGravesGuy, soon you will finally have stability! I was just writing Sue about how I get tempted to get a TT one day. I hope you keep on sharing with us how it all goes for you.

Sara, welcome! Don’t feel like a wimp, those first few months are the hardest and the scariest. There’s so many unknowns about how you’ll react and what your options will be. If anything take heart from all these posts, that life goes on even with all this Graves’ madness.

sarawebberdurnell

Thanks Raspberry. I really appreciate it. I met with a surgeon today and he was really encouraging…even said if it was him in my shoes…he’d go with the TT and I believe him. It was a really good appointment. I may just go ahead with the surgery and let the cards fall as they will. I’m having a hard time keeping up with life and want some normalcy back (though I’m sure that will take some time even after surgery).

Sara

AzGravesGuy

Happy Friday!

I had the last of my presurgical appointments yesterday and I am cleared for surgery on Monday.

These last 3 days cannot go by fast enough in my mind. I am beyond ready.

Any tips for getting the SSKI flavor out of my mouth? It is pretty bad. Lol!

Have a great weekend everyone and I will update as soon as I can.

Kimberly
                  Online Facilitator

Will be thinking about you on Monday…hope that all goes well!

Hopefully, others will have some advice on the SSKI…you might also start a new thread with that question.

Take care!

SueAndHerZoo

I remember that feeling well…… I was a happy, dancing lunatic those few days before going in for surgery – people thought I was nuts!

I guess I was one of the lucky ones because I don’t remember struggling with the SSKI taste for longer than a minute or so….. sorry I can’t help with that. Gum, maybe?

Good luck – look forward to hearing how quick and simple your recovery is. :)
                      Sue

AzGravesGuy

Thanks Kimberly and Sue!

I am on my way to the hospital in a few minutes. Not nervous consciously but having some major attitude problems today. I guess it is festering that way. It will all be over soon.

One of my friends sent me a video called Flash Delirium by MGMT. Not my usual style of music, but the singing thyroidectomy scar about 3/4 of the way through was worth it. What happens after it sings is pretty bizarre. If you google the video, it sings right after the lady plays the recorder.. (Yeah, I know….).

Fun stuff! Lol!

My cat won’t leave me alone this morning. I wonder if he knows something I don’t? He is usually pretty aloof.

I will update post anesthesia when I can. For the second time in as many years….well, here goes!

Have a fantastic day everyone!

Kimberly
                        Online Facilitator

@AZGravesGuy – Hope that all went well!

Now I’m going to have to go look up that video… :)

AzGravesGuy

It is done! Went very well! No memory from surgery. Just a big blink and I was done.

No incision pain, annoying sore throat from intubation.

I am on my 5th cup of ice chips and will start saying this now:

” I wish I did this sooner “

(As soon as I can talk. Lol!)

Thank you to everyone on the forum that posted their TT experiences. No surprises for me. Calm, cool, collected, confident knowing what to expect because all of you were generous enough to share your experiences.

Maybe it is the drugs, but an inner sense of peace has come over me. It is fantastic and I hope it is my new normal.

Thank you everyone!

SueAndHerZoo

Hurray – congratulations! I was saying right after surgery (and am STILL saying) “I wish I’d done this sooner.” No regrets here, and you won’t have any, either.

Yes, I had that sense of peace, too. I went to a family picnic 10 days after surgery and when someone would ask how I was feeling, my answer was always “Calm.” It was a calm I don’t recall ever feeling before.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t get to keep that level of calm consistently throughout the recovery process but I did find it again once we found my medication sweet spot. CHANGING doses completely wiped out my serenity and turned me into an emotional maniac but it’s temporary so be prepared, just in case that happens to you, too.

Enjoy your recovery and don’t overdo it. You will feel great but if you do too much you will be knocked down for several days. Just pace yourself.

Keep us posted, please!
                              Sue

AzGravesGuy

Thanks for the advice Sue. I can easily see myself over-doing it once I get out of here. Lol! I am off work until February 18th, so I will be ready to blast through the backlog when I get back. Until then the focus is small projects only and healing.

I had a rough night, no pain meds. I was never in “pain” but moderately uncomfortable from the throat tubing. I think I got about half an hour of sleep. My voice is still really faded and pointless, but it is better today than it was last night. I downloaded a text to voice app and have been using that to ask questions to the nursing staff. That way there is no misunderstanding what I say and I can get the whole sentence out. Very helpful!

No calcium issues to speak of. 2 blood draws so far and no symptoms so I think that bullet was dodged. They are still keeping me until 6pm tonight just to be sure.

The bandage came off a few minutes ago and I can’t believe how….mundane (for lack of a better term) the incision is. It is closer to my collar bone than I was expecting. It will be pretty subtle when it heals up as it looks like a thin sharpie line under the SaniStrip now.

I get my first 100mcg dose of Synthroid later this morning. This is a major event for me. It means “stage 3” of living with Graves’ has officially begun. Better late than never.

Absolutely no regrets! ( Now I cannot wait to hit the gym in a month. lol! ) My new life, my fresh start begins today. Now that this has been completed I can move forward again.

Raspberry

Congratulations AZGravesDude! I’m so glad it went well and I wish you a complete and speedy recovery.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 262 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.