Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

That is not a weird question…. I’ve not thought of doing that but I’ll bet a lot of people have become (like me) an expert pill splitter!!! I seem to forget mine when I am out of town and then I have to take an old dose which is really some proportion of my new dose so I am dealing with two pills all “scientifically” split. However, I seem to end up with a zillion pieces and by then my “graves mind” has forgotten what I am trying to accomplish in the first place!!!

Anonymous

Hi everybody
        Do any of ya’ll split your dose of thyroid replacement? Like take half
        in the AM and the other half in the PM? Thanks….Carolyn

Anonymous

Ok so I have started the PTU. It does taste crappy but for me I take it with milk and it doesn’t last too long.

My question is, if you read my other post “Does This Sound Right” you’ll know what I am talking about. I am a litte worried because my doctor seems to think Tapazole and PTU are both equally fine if TTC. He was right in stating that the RAI is more permanent and would be better when TTC. BUT the part that bothers me is if I do get pregnant, will he really know how to take care of me?? I know none of you will really know the answer but what I am looking for here is some one to tell me what they think. He told me that years ago they use to fear Tapazole and was explaining some thing about the baby’s head not developing right but NOW study’s show Tapazole is just as safe as PTU. These are his thoughts! I want to do what is right but if my doctor is clueless I would rather he not be responsible for keeping me healthy while having a baby. I am NOT pregnant as of yet soI would rather deal with this all now.

Please anyone that has a little friendly advice…Please share!

Thanks
          ~Steph!

Anonymous

OK, Steph, I’ll try to give you a bit of guidance.

First off, there are ways to check your doctor’s statements. Ask him/her for the studies that show that Tapazole might be equally safe during pregnancy. Ask what they are, where they were published, and then check them yourself. I have not seen them, so I cannot help you there. But that would be where I would start, perhaps.

Second, your endocrinologist will not be the only doctor involved with pregnancy issues. You will have an ob/gyn too, weighing in with opinions. There is a third source you could try to tap for an opinion, as well, and that is a pediatrician. You could still end up with conflicting information — three opinions, all divergent — and if you wanted to go for a fourth (and perhaps MORE chaos) you could talk with your pharmacist.

Basically, I think you also need to explore your own personal biases when it comes to the behavior and eating habits of pregnant women. Do you expect to give up all alcohol, smoking, certain foods, etc. when you become pregnant? How do you feel about women who do not give up alcohol? Who do not give up smoking? ETc. That might be your best guide as to whether YOU will be comfortable being on PTU or Tapazole while pregnant. Do NOT expect to be medication-free while pregnant. That is not the most likely situation you will encounter. Take a “worst-case” scenario attitude (i.e. that you WILL still be on the meds) and try to work our your response. That may tell you more than any of us — or even your doctor — about what you will be comfortable doing.

Bobbi — NGDF Online Facilitator

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.