Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

My TSH is finally measurable again, after 4 1/2 months being hypo, on .075 replacement dose. It was 5.5 (normal 0.5-6.0). My Free T-4 was 0.8 (normal 0.8-1.9).

I’ve waited for this, hoping I’d get a raise in dose and start feeling better, but my endo said he’d leave it where it is. I asked him why he wasn’t raising it, when it was obviously borderline low! His answer was that since I’m doing better than I was, we should give it more time and hopefully I’ll keep improving.

I had a list of questions, such as why I keep having bad muscle cramps and things, and he stood up and was trying to get to the door as I was asking, responding that everything should get better in time. Pain in my feet? He hopes it will get better. He edged closer to the door. I asked about the muscle weakness in general, and he said it was myeopathy, and that it happened with some thyroid problems and I was just worse than most. On towards the door and out he went.

I’ve given this endo the benefit of every doubt until now. Though his previous answers have been vague and simplistic, I’d hoped that better questions might get a more informative response. I’m scheduled to return in two months. Is it time for a second opinion regarding raise in dose? Certainly I’ll have to get my questions answered elsewhere or find a better way to ask them. Feedback anyone?

Dianne N

Anonymous

I don’t know if these are “normal” readings or not, Steve. The TSH looked to be in the correct range, but since different labs can use different methods of determining the T4, etc. I think you have to find out what is “normal” for the specific lab that analyzed your bloodwork. I haven’t really been watching those numbers closely ever since my first physician failed to see that I was out-of-range on the bloodwork. She was apparently taking numbers from one type of test, but they had run a different test……. I figure if a doctor can mess up reading the results, then I would make a TRUE hash of things if I tried to interpret them. So I just look on the bloodwork report to see if the lab has added the words “Out of Range”. That isn’t much help, is it.

Bobbi

Anonymous

Sounds like he needs to read the AACE doctor/patient philosophy. It talks about
          their mission to understand and serve the interests of the patient,
          compassion, etc. Maybe you ought to print up a copy and anonymously
          mail it to him! ;-) Seriously, are there any other good docs available
          in your area for second opinions? You deserve better!

Anonymous

HI BOBBI,

ANY HELP IS GOOD HELP, I WILL CALL MY ENDO MONDAY

THANKS,STEVE

Anonymous

Hi Steve! I always ask for a copy of my blood test results. This report has the reference ranges for the individual tests listed next to my personal results. Ask for a copy of your latest test – hopefully that’ll tell you if you’re within the normal range for that particular lab.

Hope you’re feeling better soon! Debby

Anonymous

Thank you, i will try to do this on monday,
                the receptionist will most likely tell me to get lost.
                They dont like me, they think im crazy.

crazy,steve

Anonymous

sorry for spelling your name wrong

Anonymous

We all know that not all endos are created equal. Enough said. It seems to me
                    that the questions here are: 1. is your endo blowing you off or 2. does he want
                    to wait and see what is going on and just doesn’t have a very effective bedside
                    manner. Only you were there, so only you can tell how you feel about this guy.
                    I have had three endocrinologists. On the first several visits I hated my first
                    endo (in Texas), I did not want to hear what she was telling me. Then we got along
                    great. When I moved to Michigan, Well, I absolutely hated my first endo here. he
                    was a jerk from the minute I met him. I never went back. I now see man who I think
                    is a little weird, but besides that he answers all my questions to my satisfaction.
                    He treats me with respect and I like that. If you want to give your guy one last
                    chance, do it, if it doesn’t work out….well then switch. Good luck…Carolyn

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.