Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I’m not sure what TMJ is, but my jaw has always been a bit crack-ie. I ground my teeth in my sleep as a kid. I get a pinging in my ear once and a while and I have to make a conscious effort to stretch and relax my jaw muscle, especially if I’ve had a stressful or upsetting day. I think a certain amount of hypertension is part of being hyperthyroid. Keeping our muscles tense without knowing it can lead to problems. I read somewhere that people with Graves are more likely to have developed a repetitive strain injury because of the tension in our muscles. I did in 1989 and still have the odd niggling problem with it. Not sure if this is true or not, but it sounds pretty plausable. Being aware of a problem is 90% of the solution. The rest is just knowing what to do about it, AND DOING IT!! Take good care of yourself.

Anonymous

I just wondered if anyone out there has had any problems with their jaw………like it doesn’t want to go back into place sometimes. I have just recently felt some uncomfortableness in my right jaw up by my ear. Not any real pain, just that it seems like it locks a bit. I just looked up TMJ and there are alot of symptoms that I am having and have had that could have been leading up to this: headaches (tension like) (that go down into the shoulders), jaw gets sore after chewing food or gum (I will stop chewing gum – even surgarless), stuffiness in the ear, sensitivity to lights (I have this anyways because of TED), gritting teeth without realizing it……I was doing this alot a while back but not recently.

Anonymous

Hi Cupcake!
          Good luck tomorrow! I am sure everything will go well.

I have had the popping in my jaw since I can remember, and my bite has always been a bit off. But since Graves, I seem to clench my jaws and face muscles and have a really hard time relaxing them. I don’t think I grind. If I chew almonds or gum my jaws get tired. Sometimes my face will just ache. I have also had migraine type headaches as well as weird sensations–pressure, light throbbing etc. in my head. I am now taking 25 mg. of Zoloft and it seems to be helping with all of the above as I have not been clenching as much. However, right now I am stressed about a trip and a family dinner, and I can feel the tension in my face and head. What the other poster said really made sense to me for my situation. It is hard for me to relax my muscles. I will say, however, that I am about to be tested for some other autoimmune stuff as I am having some body aches and finger and toe stiffness and swelling in addition to the above. So, mine may not be just Graves. I go to a rheumatoid doctor May 19, so we will see.
          Luvstennis

Anonymous

Having had a long bout with Graves, are there cases on record of total total or partial remission? If so, might someone share their proceedures.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.