Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Hi folks,

I could use some advice (yet again). I went to the endocrinologist last Friday, and good news, my levels are normal. However, mixed in with the good news was her prediction that my thyroid would gradually deteriorate and eventually stop functioning entirely (it’s still partially functioning right now). I asked her if this was inevitable and she said yes. I’m having a hard time accepting this. I was diagnosed with Graves two years ago. With my first endocrinologist I was put on Tapazole, which sent me into hypothryoidism. My current endo says that my first endo put me on too high a dose of Tapazole and it burned my thyroid out. I’m currently on Levoxyl and I’ve done a whole bunch of lifestyle changes – I exercise more and I’m eating a lot more healthy foods.

Does anyone know if there is any way for me to keep my thyroid still functioning? The thought of completely losing my thyroid depresses me despite all the problems it’s given me. I’ve come to accept that I will be on levoxyl or synthroid for the rest of my life, but I had assumed that my thryoid would still be there, functioning at some level. I’d be interested in any advice people could offer me on whether there are supplements or vitamins that I could take to help maintain the thyroid. Or, if my endo is right and this is a hopeless cause please let me know.

Thanks everyone.

Carolyn J.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.