Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I am one week out of choosing a Thyroidectomy. I was diagnosed with Graves in February. Today, I went in for my post op visit and they told me the pathology report showed thyroid had cancer. What concerns me is he also said it was “on” 2 lymph nodes. But he told me I didn’t need to worry. The lymph node part really scares me.

He is sending me back to my endocrinologist to determine if there is anything he would recommend. He said sometimes radioactive iodine therapy is used. My concern, is this something that can spread. Or have others had this happen and the cancer is contained in the lymph nodes?

I’m really freaked out and in shock about this. It has been a rough journey as I had severe symptoms and not only am I getting ready to go on hormones which I don’t know how long it will take to help me feel normal, but I find this out.

I feel like I was punched and knocked down.

Liz1967

This is one of the major reasons to choose a thyroidectomy as Graves patients have a higher risk for papillary thyroid cancer. You are fortunate you did as the cancer would not have been discovered. As they removed the thyroid and the nodes, you are in good shape. Thyroid cancer is a very curable cancer, especially as yours was caught before any symptoms. They sometimes recommend radioactive iodine after Graves thyroidectomy in patients with no cancer just to be sure all of the thyroid tissue was removed so if this is recommended, it is just to be sure all tissue is gone. Everyone is different, but it usually does not take long to find a good thyroid hormone replacement dose. You should be feeling much better soon. In my case, it was a matter of a couple of weeks.

So glad for you that you chose a thyroidectomy and the cancer was found and removed.

mperry

Thank you for your encouragement! I really appreciate it.

Kimberly
          Online Facilitator

Hello – For patients who are considered low risk, RAI is not always recommended after thyroidectomy. Your doctor is the best person to help assess your risk and determine next steps. ThyCa (website is thyca.org) is a great organization that provides general resources on thyroid cancer.

Wishing you all the best as you recover from surgery!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.