Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi all,
      Just wondered if anyone has had the same thing happen, t3 and t4 are both in range and have been since January. TSH was in range (barely) in March but now low again. Is this normal and just something to be expected with Graves diagnosis? Does the TSH ever get better and stay in range? I’ve had hair shedding consistently and I wonder if the reason is because my TSH has been suppressed for so long.

I appreciate any advise anyone has. Thank you!

Liz1967

Are you on methimazole? It is a drug and one of its side effects is hair loss, irregardless of thyroid hormone status. Hypothyroidism causes hair loss, but if your free Ts are normal and TSH suppressed, this would not indicate hypo.

fthompson

Yes, I’m on methimazole. 5mg daily. I just hoped the hair loss would stop as my labs got more in range. The hair loss is significant enough that I’ve considered RAI as an alternative treatment. If anything, it has gotten worse the more in range my labs have gotten.

Liz1967

There are lots of drugs beside anti-thyroid drugs that can cause hair loss. This article lists some of them, in case you are taking any other meds.
            https://www.dovemed.com/diseases-conditions/drug-induced-alopecia/
            I was only on methimazole for six months before choosing thyroidectomy. Maybe wait to see how it goes for a bit longer if you are trying for remission before choosing definitive treatment like RAI or thyroidectomy. I chose TT because I had the eye disease too.

emmtee

I never had a normal TSH when I was on methimazole. When my T4 and T3 were in the normal range, it was always suppressed. This is known as subclinical hypertyroidism. My endo wasn’t concerned at the time – just based my methimazole dosage on my T4 and T3 levels.

After I got my TT, this changed because my T4 came from a tablet and TSH is the hormone my body was producing. My endo wanted my TSH to reach the normal range. We finally got it there, but it took a lot of time and 5 levothyroxine dosage reductions.

Regarding hair loss, I never had a problem when I was on methimazole, but I started gradually losing it a couple of years after my TT.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.