Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone, I have searched the site for a post that could shed some light on what to expect if I were to switch from Synthroid ( 9 years) to a generic. I apologize if I have somehow missed it.

To make a long story short, I feel I should switch to a generic because I will be approaching medicare age and at $208 for a 90 day supply of Synthroid, I just do not see how this will work. Even now with decent insurance, I still pay nearly full price to get my meds.

The TT 9 years ago, did give my body some relief, but I must have retained some thyroid tissue. I paid cash for an antibody lab, and it was elevated. Synthroid has not been a magic potion, so, I don’t look forward to going through the turmoil that a different medication might cause.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Liz1967

I have been on generic levothyroxine since my TT 7 years ago. Last year the manufacturer switched from Lannett to Amneal but I noticed no change in my TSH. There is a tiny difference in absorption rate between manufacturers and there was one study indicating the brand name to be more consistent batch to batch but any difference is very small. Remember your body at different times has different requirements for T4, even when you had a thyroid, and this may have more of an effect than any minor inconsistency. Staying on one manufacturer, whether generic or brand, is best and you can adjust the dose accordingly. I notice a slight seasonal change (my TSH runs lower in winter), dose varies if I gain or lose weight even just 10 lbs, and of course if I have to take PPIs like Nexium, stop or start morning coffee drinking, or any of the other things that interfere with absorption. The secret is consistency. For example, if you always drink coffee in the morning, even if you wait an hour after levo, know that it reduces absorption and you may require less levo if you quit coffee. Bottom line, the generic is way cheaper (I pay zero thru insurance and it runs $12 without) and I have found it to work just fine. I have been on 88 micrograms since 6 months postop TT.

Kimberly
        Online Facilitator

One quick note: the American Thyroid Association recommends followup testing if you switch products in order to confirm that the dose of the new med is correct. After that, as Liz1967 noted, it’s best to stay with a consistent manufacturer. (You should be able to keep tabs on the manufacturer via a 3-letter code on the label. Your pharmacist *should* inform you of any changes, but this doesn’t always happen!)

genuinruby

Thank you Kimberly for chiming in. Your advice is always very appreciated. As is your time that you dedicate to this forum.

genuinruby

Quick update.

Switching from Synthroid to Generic was a breeze. I guess I got caught up in the hype.

Happy Camper Now.

Kimberly
              Online Facilitator

Great news! That is crazy that a 90-day supply of Synthroid was that expensive. Wonder if it’s one of those situations where going through insurance was actually costing *more* than the cash price!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.