Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Thanks for your reply! I do have some questions for you! How long did it take before the “pain in your neck” went away after surgery? How long did you have Grave’s and were you ever on any anti-thyroid? How tough was the recovery period post surgery? Do they keep you in the hospital just overnight or longer? I have always been told RAI would be easier and have never asked many questions about this part of surgery but I do know all the risks. Thanks for helping me.

Angie

Anonymous

I was diagnosed with Graves at the beginning of January this year. I’d been having problems prior to diagnosis, but not sure how long I’ve actually had it. I did a month on PTU and propranalol which did not help levels and only minimal help to symptoms. I had my surgery towards the end of March. I honestly did not have pain after surgery. Some throat discomfort when swallowing when eating…that took about a week to end. I just took ibuprofen for that and drank a lot of milkshakes! I went out of state and travelled back home 2 days after surgery. I spent one nite in the hospital, then back to the hotel for a nite, then headed home. I took things fairly easy the first week. But by week 2, I was “back at work”….I’m a stay at home mom. I didn’t do any heavy lifting for a couple of weeks. I didn’t have any vocal problems at all. I had low calcium in the hospital, but I also had a parathyroid adenoma removed and one parathyroid was removed with the thyroid and re-implanted. Most of that was anticipated in my case. Any other questions….just ask away! I have no regrets about my treatment choice. Crash

Anonymous

They kept me overnight My surgery was at 7am on Monday and I was released from the hospital at 4pm the following day. One of the primary reasons is the drugs they use to knock you out during surgery can make you very ill. I couldn’t keep even water down until 11pm monday night. The pain was very minor. I took OTC pain pills every 4-6 hours and that kept it away. I travel a lot for work and I am not feeling good enough to start doing that again. Still tender in the neck area and my synthroid level needs to be ironed out. If I just had a desk job or low impact not up running around a lot I could have gone back the following Monday. My doctor said I could probably go back by the end of the week but I think that’s pushing it a little. My throat is still tender but my thryoid was several time normal size when they took it out. I think a lot of the sorenesss is also the tube they put down the inside so I could breath brused my mouth and throat a little. I have to tell you. I felt immediately better as far as Graves symptoms goes. I am sleeping all night. Minimal mood swings. It is fantastic. I was originally diagnosed with Graves in April of 2003. I went through 2 kills and it still after 7 months post the last kill which was at 28 milicuires of Radiation didn’t bring it even down close to being unactive. I was on Tapazole *anti thryoid* drug from July-may of this year. It helped some but having to come off the anti drug to do the RAI was horrific for me. Severe moodswings, depression, almost psychotic episodes with a hair trigger temper. Everyone has to make their own decision but if I had to do it all over again. I would have had surgery and not done the second kill.
          If you have any other questions let me know.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.