Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi, beana:

I’m not sure what you wanted from this second opinion. It sounds to me, however, like you encountered a constructive doctor. I’ll explain.

First off, if he does not think that the symptoms come from hyperthyroidism, he did suggest that it was possible that something else is going on. Usually, we hear a doctor say, "It’s not your thyroid." Period. Many of us have had to prod our doctors to look beyond the Graves for something else. It is completely normal to blame all of our physical problems on thyroid — but unfortunately, sometimes something else IS going on.

Second, he suggested tinkering with your dose of PTU to see if changing it moves the TSH and allows you feel better. This sounds like flexibility to me. He is not "stuck" on one particular measure within the normal range.

I do hope you are feeling better soon.
      Bobbi — Online FAcilitator

beana

first to say this sight is very helpful and i am happy i found it. i was diagnosed about 3 years ago and have been going to one doctor my t3 and free t4 are within normal range and my tsh is still and undetectable <0.03. some of my simptoms like the stomach cramps, sweaty palms and shaky hands left. however, i still have headaches, eyeaches( if thats a word), i am very easily irritated, out of breathe and really realyy tired. yesterday i went to a second opinion i am in new york so he was a recomended dr from columbia presbyterian. he looked at all my info and told me that my simptoms could not neccesary be from hyperthyrodism what if they are caused by something else? at the worst of my disease i was taking ptu two pills 4x day now that my t3 and freet4 is normal my dr lowered it to 2x day. this dr said that since i never reached sort of remision or normalicy through the pills and i am reluctant to do rai maybe we should raise my dose to 3 pills 3x day and repeat my test to see if the tsh will budge and eventually go to normal and i feel better. i am trying to be objective but finding it hard maybe because i did not feel like the dr was feeling me. do i make sense? my husband said we should give him a chance. i am very confused looking for input.

beana

thank you bobbi for your input which makes sense to me. i have upted my ptu and will wait six weeks before gettin a blood test. i have been strugling with this for so long i will give this dr. a chance.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.