Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

I should have been more clear about WHEN I had my thyroidectomy! It was 1959, almost 60 years ago! At a time when CT scans and MRI’s did not exist!

In the recent past, hospitalization times have decreased drastically. Much of it is a good thing. I was ready to go home, get out of there, on post op day #1. But that was unheard of at that time. I also had an 18 month old, which I did not mention. And my husband and I were both in med school. I later switched to nursing.

SueAndHerZoo
        snelsen wrote:
        I should have been more clear about WHEN I had my thyroidectomy! It was 1959, almost 60 years ago! At a time when CT scans and MRI’s did not exist!

In the recent past, hospitalization times have decreased drastically. Much of it is a good thing. I was ready to go home, get out of there, on post op day #1. But that was unheard of at that time. I also had an 18 month old, which I did not mention. And my husband and I were both in med school. I later switched to nursing.

Geez, Shirley, you didn’t have much on your plate at that time, did ya? Holy crap – what a warrior and survivor!
        Sue

snelsen

To Sue and….
          …but I did not have as many kids as you did when all that was going on! As I recall, you were in school or working, too…plus munchkins, plus Graves.

There are a few of us “old timers” who wrote so much several years ago, I sure would like for all of us to have met…or to meet at a conference! Right now I have forgotten the name of our Arizona Graves guy! Remember him??

Raining in Seattle tonight..what a surprise! Good night to listen to the rain as i go to bed. Just love that. I take my Synthroid at nighttime. Seem to be surviving that.

Suze

Ladies,

Apology for the delay, and I hope you receive this. You sound like a lovely bunch of women. Also, and fyi, I think Arizona Graves guy responded to my previous post.

As Wednesday is fast approaching, I am happy to hear that your surgeries were quite manageable. I have been expecting a more invasive or painful experience than you describe so this is good to hear. Sounds like it may not be that bad. At this point, I’m really more focused on the after effects, but rather than share my concerns, I’ll be back if they actually surface.

I’m curious to know…if you had your thyroids removed years ago (including as far back as 1959!) what keeps you logging in to this site, so many years later? That’s impressive.

Thank you.

Suze

Liz1967

If I didn’t have the eye disease, I would not be on this site. The actual thyroid part was no problem for me and I mostly forget about it except to take the levothyroxne each morning. The eye part, however, was a definite challenge and I hope after five eye surgeries, orbital radiation and IV steroids, in addition to all the complications of severe eye disease, I have some help to offer others facing TED, having gone through all of it.

snelsen

This is a good question.

Same as Liz. But once I found it I was hooked. People were SO helpful to me with TED, and then I realized I could be be helpful to others, not only with TED, but with Graves’.

There is always someone new on the site, with the same discouragement, depression, anxiety, and fear that I had with both TED and Graves’. It helps to talk to someone who has been down in the depths of all of it, and read that this person is now pretty much “back in the normal population,”and all aspects of it.
                It also is very helpful to chat with someone who is trying to plan a family

You feel so alone with this. Unlike a pregnancy, or even a surgical procedure that is more well known, there are a lot of people who really do understand, have been there, and offer helpful advice and support. But there are fewer in the Graves’ TED population, and most of us did not have A CLUE about it, and did not know anyone had “been there, done that.”

That’s about it. All of this (except being pregnant!) is the same for men. If anything, it is even harder for them, since Graves’/TED is so much more rare for them. I like to think that AZ Graves guy got a lot of support from us, and like many others, he has been a valuable asset to the discussion.

Many of us old timers pop on now and then to see what is going on. I think it is reassuring, too, to read posts from the very beginning, when we are truly lost, convinced that life as we knew it is gone forever..then watch the progression to to a place where things are so much better.

SueAndHerZoo
                  snelsen wrote:
                  Many of us old timers pop on now and then to see what is going on. I think it is reassuring, too, to read posts from the very beginning, when we are truly lost, convinced that life as we knew it is gone forever..then watch the progression to to a place where things are so much better.

Here, here! :) Totally agree, especially with the “so much better”. In my case, not only better than when I was truly lost but even better than before I was diagnosed with Graves. Sometimes this disease is festering below the surface for decades before we actually know there’s a problem. We just get so used to feeling the way we do we don’t even realize we could and should be feeling better.
                  Sue

Suze

Liz,

As my eye doctor reminded me, the thyroidectomy may not have a direct impact on TED bc it is not a cause and effect. He did say that a more stable thyroid tends to be better for TED. As I was informed, it is just a waiting game for TED to burn out. In any event, I may be back for more advice on the TED side. One thing at a time and my thyroidectomy is tomorrow.

Thanks to all the good people on here for all your great advice. It has helped me get to this point.

Suze

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.