Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Remission can happen, and I was so worried it wouldn’t. My blood work in December was perfect and I’ve totally gone off Tapazole. It’s been a month and no symptoms. Well, there was a lot of anxiety and irritability in December, but I realize it was my usual Christmas Crazies.

My eyes still bug me at times, pretty minor compared to many of you. But it’s a day-to-day thing and I have more good days than bad. Saw a new nurse practitioner at my family doctor’s office the other day for a sinus infection. First thing she asked was when I’d had bloodwork last and her hand went straight to my throat. I told her it was under control. She said my eyes were a dead giveaway for thyroid problems. Yes, your eyes are a window to the world, but do they have to be a window to my thyroid condition!!!!!

I haven’t been on BB for a while and only have a few minutes. Would love to hear from you guys!

God Bless!
      Teresa

Anonymous

Teresa:

I think you and I are following the same
        pattern for our remission. My eye problems
        are the only symptom that I have.

Good luck with your continued good health.
        It is difficult for anyone other than our
        group to understand what we have been
        through and the impact that it has had on our
        physical and emotional well-being. I know
        that I have certainly changed some of the
        priorities in my life. I now try to get as
        much enjoyment as possible out of each day
        since I realize that in a week I might not be
        capable of the experience.

Becky Ryder
        ryder@flash.net

Anonymous

I had planned on staying away from the
          board once I remitted, but many of you have
          encouraged me to give you monthly updates
          on my progress.

I’m the crazy long distance runner (29 years
          of running including 20 marathons). I was
          diagnosed with GD in April of 97 and was
          on 5 mg Tapazole for 5 months then I went
          hypo and was also taking Synthroid for 3
          months.

On Nov 26 I went off meds and have been in
          remission since that time. The only symptoms
          that I have involve the eyes and the labs
          show I’m within normal ranges.

I continue to run 6 days a week and am racing
          5K to Half Marathon distances. I am a teacher
          and I think the true test will come next week
          when I return to the stress of work.

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement
          and I hope that I can be of help to any of you
          who are athlethes and need any coaching
          advice. I have 28 years of coaching experience
          and I think I might be able to provide some
          insight into how exercise is related to GD.

Becky Ryder
          ryder@flash.net

Anonymous

So far, so good, fingers crossed. My endo finally took me completely off the replacement hormone at the beginning of December. I “flirted” with being hyper for eight months, and it was kind of frustrating. At first, we thought I just had too much replacement hormone, but it became apparent around September that my Wonder Thyroid had bounced back to life after the RAI. I got my first bloodwork back a few days ago (after stopping the hormone), and the numbers are rock solid in the normal zone. I’m sleeping better, and other than an intermittent sense of fatigue (which goes away if I exercise), it is very good to feel good again. Today, I felt like I had worked my way up to power walking again, so I gave it a try. What a wonderful feeling it was to be able to get out and do this. I managed to put in a half hour. Real progress.

For those of you new to this disease, I want to offer encouragement. Recovery, with whatever treatment you choose, might be a bit slower than you would like, but once those hormone levels are back where they should be, you will be feeling good again.

Take heart, and take care.

Bobbi

Anonymous

Hi, everyone!

Just got back from the doctor to talk about the results from my recent blood work and thyroid scans:

After 5 1/2 months off PTU, I am completely in remission (and yes, given the results it is remission…don’t have to wait 1 yr to call a spade a spade).

The blood tests: perfectly normal. Microsmal antibodies: Perfectly normal. Thyroid scan: perfectly normal. Radioactive Uptake Scan:
              perfectly normal.

So normal in fact that the doctor said that quite possibly it truly was just the worst case of Postpartum Thyroiditis ever! I have had stress out the wazoo for months straight and STILL my thyroid didn’t go off the depend. Hurray! Praise God!!

Now, too bad I have sinusitis and bronchitis and feel like crap anyway. :-)

Hope everyone is doing well,

Glynis

Anonymous

Hi, everyone!

Just got back from the doctor to talk about the results from my recent blood work and thyroid scans:

After 5 1/2 months off PTU, I am completely in remission (and yes, given the results it is remission…don’t have to wait 1 yr to call a spade a spade).

The blood tests: perfectly normal. Microsmal antibodies: Perfectly normal. Thyroid scan: perfectly normal. Radioactive Uptake Scan:
                perfectly normal.

So normal in fact that the doctor said that quite possibly it truly was just the worst case of Postpartum Thyroiditis ever! I have had stress out the wazoo for months straight and STILL my thyroid didn’t go off the deep-end. Hurray! Praise God!!

Now, too bad I have sinusitis and bronchitis and feel like crap anyway. :-)

Hope everyone is doing well,

Glynis

Anonymous

Hi all,

Just checking in to encourage you that remission IS possible after using ATD’s “T” drug. After over 4 years of ATD use, I stopped using them July ’98. I was originally diagnosed February 1994. Today’s lab test results cofirm that I am still in remission. My endo at the time of diagnosis recommended RAI immediately because of a then grossly overactive thyroid. Please don’t rush into the RAI decision to quickly.

With respect to the “Block Replacement Therapy” or (BRT), it sounds interesting and I personally would try it as a secondary option to ATD’s on their own. Fortunately the ATD’s alone seemed to work for me and probably will again should I relapse.

Best in health to everyone!

James

Anonymous

I HAVE BEEN IN REMISSION THREE TIMES. I AM CURRENTLY ON MY THIRD BOUT WITH TAPAZOLE. IF U FEEL GOOD ON THE PTU, STAY ON IT. I WAS ABLE TO WEAN OFF TAP AND STAY WNL FOR THREE YEARS AT A TIME. I HOPE I CAN DO IT AGAIN. THE ENDO WANT RAI, I’M SCARED TOO! I KEEP SAYING NO. I PRAY MY LIVER CAN TAKE IT. BEST OF LUCK AND STAY WELL

Anonymous

Me too, Rugby. I’ve been on PTU for 3 years now, since my diagnosis in Feb. 1998. I am doing well on a low dose of 50 mg/day. (no liver enzyme problems) The endo and internist have asked me to cut it down to 25 mg/day. The symptoms start returning—ravenous appetite and insomnia. Also, I think my face changes almost immediately, but I couldn’t tell you exactly how. I would rather stay on the PTU at 50 mg/day than get the RAI or get off the PTU altogether. I think for me the issue is not wanting to feel out of control again. I don’t want to feel that angry or unable to cope again. I’m still trying to get over the problems that caused me before. I think the doctors don’t always realize the problems that Graves’ has caused us in our personal lives. I’ll have to wait until I’m at a place where I can afford to be a little “nuts” again to experiment with a change. Right now, I’m trying to start a new career and take care of an 84-year-old mother.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.