Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Had my eyelid surgery 3 weeks ago. It was pretty tough. I had 30 stitches about each eye and also had both eyes stitced shut for 1 week to keep the lids from popping back up. I am slowly recovering. So far, the eyelids are even but the bottom lid on the left eye is pulling away. I will have to have it done in 6 months. I had a great Dr.

Debra

Anonymous

I had my surgery on monday and just wanted to let everyone know that it is not as bad as i thought. there is 2 ways of doing the surgery though and it would be something to ask it you are considering it. my dr moved the nerves in the front of my neck where alot of them just cut them. this can cause i little bit more discomfort the first few days after surgery. i have’t had any pain meds since i came home and other than a tightening feeling in the front of my neck it is fine. washing hair is a little difficult but my husband has been a great help. I think where the IV in my arm hurts more than the incision site. they removed everything but a very small corner. over 3/4 of it. It was sent to pathology cause the dr commented that it didn’t look like thyroid tissue. at my request he took a picture of what he took out for me cause i wanted to see it. the one side of my thyroid alone was bigger than an average thyroid. nothing but a mass of nodules. they put me on synthroid as soon as i came home from the hospital and i feel good. I just wanted to let everyone know not to be scare of surgery as a option. there are risks involved with either procedure but i was more reassured that it was gonna be looked at before it was removed and if it didn’t need to come out it was gonna stay. with radiation it kills it all even the good parts are not spared. Well i just wanted to check in and let everyone know about my surgery.
        Sweetpea

Anonymous

This is great to hear. I have surgery scheduled on less than 2 weeks – I hope mine goes as well as yours did.

Anonymous

Hi Sweetpea,

Had to correct a statement you made in your post about RAI Killing the whole thyroid. In cases where a larger amount of RAI is give that may be the case. But in most cases a smaller dose is given and part of the thyroid is left functioning. That is why sometimes people need more than one treatment of RAI for it to kill off enough of the thyroid to make us euthyroid or hypo.

We are only a click away.

Jake
            On-Facilitator

Anonymous

Hello – I have four nodules and one is very large and cold. I am meeting with my endo to discuss the next step. I am on PTU and have Grave’s. I don’t want to do the radioiodine pill and might talk about surgery.

Were you nervous about the surgery because of the risk to your vocal box? I have read horror stories. Do you mind if I ask how old you are and if you have children. I am 32 and just got married when Grave’s hit me and now I have so many issues to deal with. I am wondering if getting the entire thyroid removed is my answer. Thank you.

Laura

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.