Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi, Colleen,
      This is probably redundant, but if you go to the top of this bb page, click on HOME, and scroll down you will see there are bullitin boards for many other diseases, arthritis being one. Then go to the arthritis FAQ ‘s. The Arth. board doesn’t have as much chatter as our board, but why not post something over there, too? K

Anonymous

Trish, I had xrays, MRI, Ct Scan, and found at age 44 severe arthritus in my neck, compression of the three areas of the spine. Now, the orthopedic surgeon has decided to do a myelogram at the hospital next week. I’m a little apprehensive about this procedure since I’ve heard that when they inject dye into your spine and have to lay still for hours, you end up with a gigantic migraine. I had an RAI in June of 1996 and I am hypo now and on synthroid. I have been trying to gather info to find out if the yr or so of untreated GD may have contributed to this. My GD was not detected until Thryroid Storm hospitalization.Two years ago I was active, healthy, worked out at the gym 4 x a week. Do you have any phone # for this arthritus foundation? I know I have to do this mylogram thing but then what! They say the arthritus is severe and is causing problems such as pain and numbness in arms and hands. I really would like to research this some more, that is if something else doesn’t show up in this tired, swollen, overweight body of mine. Just seems to be one thing after another since being diagnosed. Anyone else out there have one of these myelogram procedures?

Anonymous

Hi Colleen! I don’t know where your from, but I just looked up my local arthritis foundation right in the phone book. My internist disagreed that the advance arthritis was due to GD, but my chiropractor and endo said it was…. go figure… they can never agree. Like you I belonged to a gym and was active. I was very suprised to get that diagnosis. I walk on my treadmill twice a day ( I don’t jog anymore as per my chiropractor’s advice) and I do stretching exercises that I got from the arthritis foundation. I feel much much better that I did two months ago. Don’t lose faith. We will get through this!

Anonymous

Hi Trish – Thanks for responding so soon. My daughter had all of those tests, T3, T4, Xrays, Scans, and Thyroid Uptake before going to the endo. All tests seemed to point to Graves, and I guess I just assumed it was, especially since my older daughter was diagnosed several years ago with it and had the RAI, and three eye surgeries including orbital decompression. Anyway, the endo wanted this TSI test done, and even after it came back in the “normal” range, he wants us to consider surgery after we get her thyroid under control with the medications. He said RAI is the normal option, but considering our family history and since RAI “Might” cause eye problems to worsen (no eye problems yet), he thought surgery might be the best way to go.

So I guess my real question is – does she or does she not have Graves, and if not, can her eyes still be affected?

I’ll let you know what the doctor says next week.

PS- I’m in New Mexico- Where are you?

Anonymous

Hi Margaret

I was living in the Albuquerque area when I was diagnosed. I have Euthyroid Graves’ eye disease, little problem so far with the thyroid.

TSI is “Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulins” and the normal is actually none of it at all. It indicates the presence of antibodies attacking the thyroid. Mine just came back “weakly positive” and we’re still trying to figure it out.

“Elevation of TSI in a hyperthyroid patient is highly suggestive of Graves’ disease” I’m quoting this from my last lab report.

Bruce

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.