Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

The problem, as I see it, with the decompression surgery is that it carries sizeable risks — this is not cosmetic surgery, in the more typical sense of snipping a retracted eye-lid muscle, or removing fatty deposits, or stretching the skin tauter. It involves the removal of bone behind the eye (working very close to the brain), and is major surgery. One of the former participants of this board was under general anesthesia with it for something like ten to twelve HOURS. For one eye. For that reason, it is usually not considered until the vision is imperiled. It can also make the double vision WORSE, which could then require additional surgery — strabismus surgery– to straighten out the eye alignment. Certainly, getting a second or third opinion is a valid option for anybody, and since Katie has mentioned PAIN associated with the eyes, finding a way to alleviate the pain is probably an important consideration. But there may be other ways to try to do this, without decompression. I really don’t know. I don’t think I would “recommend” this surgery to anyone for purely cosmetic reasons, neither would I necessarily scoff at them. This has to be a personal choice, with complete understanding of the risks, vs the potential rewards.

B.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.