Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

T3, T4 and T7 tests were the standard for 20 to 30 years. It is only
      within the last couple of years that TSH tests have taken precendence
      over these former indicators, and only the last year or two that patients
      have been unable to get T3 and T4 test and only given TSH. Much less info
      in my humble medical opinion.
      An again if your TSH is okay and these other tests are not, they won’t
      catch it with just the one test.
      It doesn’t work for me!

Anonymous

T-7 (or what used to be called T-4+3 (7?)) is a ratio to T-3 uptake, but does not relate directly to T-3. It is not 100% accurate for increased or decreased T-3 levels. A free T-3 or T-3 RIA would be the most accurate test for actual T-3 levels. Many people can have a enlarged thyroid, and inturn have a high uptake (%) of T-3, but only have a diffuse gioter with no overactivity. The opposite can be true when the thyroid is not enlarged, and the uptake in turn is low, but the thyroid can be overproducing. These are rare cases. I wonder if possibly your thyroid could be releasing stored hormone, in the form of T-3, but your other tests are normal because the overactivity is controlled?

Either way, you might still want to have a T-3 test. It’s the best indicator.

Ron
        PS- T-7 test is usually used in a basic Thyroid profile test to check if there is a possible thyroid problem. It is rarely used after diagnosis.

Anonymous

CATHY,
          Maybe you could brooch this delicate subject by bringing your own graves disease into conversation. This may trigger a response from your aquaintance.

JAN

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.