Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Vanessa,

None of the doctors I have seen relate Grave’s to anything other than being hereditary. But for what its worth, my personal experience has been that stress and poor eating habits are key to getting Grave’s. No one in my family has the disease and I am under major stress each day at work. Also, before I was diagosed, my eating habits were poor. I was also drinking allot of milk, which I have found to be extremely bad for the thyroid. I have since improved my diet dramatically as well as embarked on using specific herbs, vitamins and minerals that relate specifically to Grave’s. Also, I have begun practicing meditation to relieve stress and am happy to say that I am feeling much, much better. Maybe the MD’s really don’t know enough about this disease as well as alternative healing practices.

-John

Anonymous

Everyone has a different experience with this disease. Every medical person I have seen said that stress doesn’t CAUSE the disease, but that stress can trigger the onset and that it certainly exascerbates the progress or lack thereof. I know that when I am stressed, my counts are way off and I feel lousy and that when I can get calmed down, it helps.

As to the person asking about vitamins, my pharmacist said that multivitamins are fine, but that anything that said Multivitamin or vitamin and MINERALS was going to contain iodine and we should stay away from that. I switched to plain multiple vitamins and am doing fine. I also take extra vitamin E and it helps my skin and hair. My hairdresser has several clients with Graves and she did quite a bit of research and said that the vitamin E really helps keep your hair healthy and helps it grow back with this disease.

Keep on keeping on

Mitakuye Oyasin
        Val

Anonymous

I’m a wife, but not for long. My husband’s stress level and my lack of understanding and knowledge (primarily because he was misdiagnosed for so long) has led to our separation. He has filed for a divorce, but I do not believe he is in his right mind, yet, because of the effects of Graves on his emotions. He wasn’t diagnosed until Christmas Eve, but had already left and filed for divorce two days prior. For a long time, I knew he couldn’t handle stress and tried to protect him from it. But after months and months of adjusting our lives around his, he wasn’t able to leave the house, couldn’t work outside the home, and could do little work inside the home. Walking to the mailbox exhausted him. But his lack of confidence in the medical profession and general dislike of taking any sort of medicine caused him to go about 8 months without seeing a doctor. By the time I finally convinced him to go (begging pleading and crying) he had dropped down to 119# (he’s 6’2″). He had also become demanding and critical of me, and I became resentful and frustrated. If only I had known. The doctors last year (1996&early 97) treated him for Wolfe-Parkinson-White (electrical heart malfunction), which he did have, but that’s not all. The next one treated him for stomach acid (His pH was 1!!!). At that time, his TSH was slightly elevated, so the cardiologist put him on Synthroid, even though he had already lost 20# by that time. He offered to send him to an Endocrinologist at that time, but my husband became disillusioned (or perhaps something deeper) and refused to go back to any doctor for the rest of the year. When I arranged for him to see an internist in late November, his thyroid was out of wack so they put him on Inderal, which he refused to take. By this time I was certain there was something much deeper that disillusionment, but didn’t know he had Graves, nor did I know how much it effects not only the body, but the mind and soul (including all emotions). His personality changed completely. He is no better, as far as I can tell from a distance. I am not allowed to speak to him. Only our attorneys can mediate. But I have e-mailed him some highlights from the board, and continue to pray for both him and our marriage. Thanks for listening. I hope this helps anyone who may be dealing with the emotions of this dreadful and often misdiagnosed disease. Love and prayers to all. Peggy C.

Anonymous

Peggy: This is NO TIME for your hubby to be making long-term decisions. When I was in the deepest throws of GD, I went for 2 months forgetting to enter checks in my check register (whether at the store or mailing bills). I didn’t remember a phone call from an hour before. You’d have to know me to realize I am one of the most organized, methodical person that ever walked. I was short tempered (felt SO rotten). My joy in life is taking care of my animals (goats, horses, cows, cats, dogs, etc.). My husband cared for my critters for months because I was too tired and “unconcerned” … NOT MYSELF! He cooked, helped me clean, etc. NOT HIM! After RAI in May ’97 and Synthroid finally taking hold just this month, I am a new person. (Actually, I came to my senses, more or less, around Sept.) Maybe there’s more to your marital problems than GD; maybe not. It doesn’t sound like he is willing to even try to help himself; ergo, he’s like an alcoholic. You can’t force him. I couldn’t WAIT to come out of my stupor and went on Inderol ASAP and RAI ASAP (some on the board don’t agree with RAI, but whatever). I knew I wasn’t “me”, and he’s GOT to know that too. Is he using this for an excuse? I am going to be 53 this month, and I feel and act 10 years younger than I did in 1997.
            The best advice I have for you is to keep in touch with these great people on the board. They were my saviours in the beginning, and while I rarely post, I monitor constantly just so I know I am not alone (everything is still not compeltely rosy, but SO much better). This is the best support group you could ever ask for. And while I’m at it, folks, if I haven’t said it often enough before, THANK YOU!

Anonymous

Hi Peggy,

I had some weird things happen to me too before my dx and I am the one who has Graves’ Disease. We now make jokes about the stupid things that we went though. We still go though stuff but my Graves’ Disease, Graves’ Eye Disease and Fibromyalgia just keep things more interesting! :)

Nobody can control me and I can’t control anyone else. I think the problems that my husband and I went though were always there except I helped to make them worse when I was sick and did not know it. My husband just reminded me that I kept saying “we gotta do this” and “we gotta do that” and I would not do a darn thing!

I think by me having Graves’ Disease has encouraged me to make some life style changes that have really helped me and my family out. There is no way I will figure it all out but now I try to live each day in that day.

Don’t forget to take care of yourself during these changing times. I tell myself that I am living in God’s time and not my time. This helps me to accept things the way they are and not the way I would like them to be.

I am sure that being a support person can be hard. I hope your husband continues to get the medical help he needs. I was real happy to take the Inderal for my racing heart because I just knew that I was going to have a heart attack and die. I did not like the helpless creture feeling that I was having at that time. The loss of control was really scarey!

Anonymous

Peggy,

My heart goes out to you!!! Remember the husband you married is under all
                of the muck and stress of this disease..
                And all because of a physical aliement. I wish people were more understanding
                Does your lawyer know about the Graves and how it effects people.. Does his lawyer know about it…?/
                Cant they do something….?

I hope so, Because you are stuck in the middle..

Hug,
                Lynne

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.