Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ever since I was a kid, I’ve been very responsible about brushing my teeth 2 to 3 times a day and all that. During the time I was very, very hyper, my teeth stained incredibly. Stained so much that I don’t even want to smile now. I wasn’t smoking at the time, but I had virtually no calcium intake whatsoever. I really need to get to a dentist. I HATE going to the dentist!

Caroline ;-P

Anonymous

Hi, Shirley:

Just the person that I want to talk with!! In the past year and a half, my dentist has had massive problems getting me numb for dental work. In fact, in the past year, it has seemed impossible. I had to have a root canal right before I was diagnosed with Graves, and it was NOT pleasant. He gives me two or three shots of the anesthetic and there’s little or no numbing. He says he thinks it has to do with my thyroid hormones being out of whack, and that I should wait til things balance out, and all will be well. Well…..I haven’t balanced out yet, and I have had to postpone some major work as a result. Now, not that I mind postponing pain , but this has gone on quite a while now. Is there any literature among the dental circles that approaches this topic (non-numbing), and do you have any suggestions for what I might suggest, or what I should do? If this situation could be Graves related, answer on the board. If not, you can email me.
        I would really appreciate any insights you can give me.

Bobbi

Anonymous

I find this topic of the freezing not working very interesting. I have gone through this problem with two dentists. Now, my dentist of 15 years, knows to give me a lot more than he would for most people. I am terrified of needles so I really hate it even tho it doesn’t hurt that much. I had a scare with a school dentist who was very rough and didn’t freeze when I was about 8 years old (he was subsequently fired) and since that time have avoided going to the dentist unless it is an emergency. My dentist now even has TV’s in the ceiling and every comfort imaginable and he is very good but I still hate it.

I had to have a toe frozen for an ingrown toenail and the Dr. could not figure out why the freezing would not take. I was there for hours instead of a short visit as he had to keep giving me more and then we would wait to see if it had worked. Also when I had one of my biopsies the freezing didn’t take and they all felt so badly but said I had had the normal dose and it should have been fine. They had to give me more, wait and start again!! I find when I see that this is happening to others on this BB that it may have something to do with the thyroid function? Another mystery.

Any insite to this problem would be appreciated. SAS

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.