Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I’ve had trouble with my periods ever since GD in /92.
      I would go months without one, or have a couple in
      one month ( which is the pits! ) Also sometimes they
      would be so painful I would be in bed all day curled
      up in a ball, and other times I would hardly experience
      any pain at all. It’s very strange. I went on the pill
      in order to get regulated. Stopped the pill, they became
      irregular again. Now I’m back on the good ol’ pill.
      Scarey to hear that Graves’ ladies go into early menopause.
      I’m close to the 31 mark, and haven’t had kids yet. I
      hope this doesn’t happen to me! Anyone have more info on
      this?

Love to all,

Shannon.

Anonymous

LOL! Love ya, Crazy! You want to be one of the “ladies”?

Huggers,
        JAN

Anonymous

Good Morning, ladies-

Thanks (in advance )for taking the time to read this and respond. I was wondering if any of you are on birth control pills but still miss and occassion period (no, not pregnant!). is this normal with GD? I think I should get my period because I’m on the pill, but i also know that irregular menstrual cycles are common with GD. Any thoughts on this? I appreciate any response.

-Vanessa

Anonymous

Hi Vanessa,

I am not on the pill now but I tried to go on it in 1993, 2 years before I was diagnosed with Graves, and I could not handle it. It made me feel like I was on drugs or something. So I can’t answer your main question.

I will say I have had irregulars period since 1991, 4 years before GD. I think Graves can affect women’s cycles.

Good luck, Jen

Anonymous

Hi Vanessa –

Don’t know if this will help much, but maybe I can add something:

About a year and a half after my second daughter was born, I started gaining weight at a rapid pace. Gained 50 pounds in 5 months! I also missed 5 periods during those same months, even though I had an IUD
              (inter-uterine device, or coil) – that’s one of those prehistoric modes of birth control they used back then. The family doctor just happened to notice my eyes were swollen and then spotted the large goiter on my neck. That was my invitation to this nightmare….

From my research, estrogen is connected in some way to the hormones involved in this disease, but I’m not sure how. Maybe someone else might understand it and can explain it for us.

Best Wishes,
              Chris

Anonymous

I’m on the pill and currently on PTU again. While I haven’t missed a period, I have had them last for all of one day! My flow is lighter, compared to what it first was when I went on the pill. Previous to going on the pill, my periods were every three months, but regular with average to light flow. I don’t know if it is the graves or the meds or the fact I’m pushing 40 that has really changed my cycles somewhat.

Anonymous

I’m on the pill and have been for over ten years. I’ve always been regular and haven’t missed any periods, although the duration was a mere 2-3 days while hyper and a whopping 6-7 while hypo. My endo did tell me that if I hadn’t been on the pill, my period would have stopped while hyper because my numbers were so high.

My end also told me that I should tell him if my period stops now that I’m post-RAI and getting regulated on replacment hormones. So, I’d encourage you to call your doctor and report this symptom. It may be normal, but there’s no harm in calling.

~Melinda

Anonymous

Has anyone missed their period for months at a time and not be pregnant? What kind of problems, serious or not, can accur because of this? How long could this last? Thanks for any input you might could give. I do so enjoy this BB, never knew it was out here till I stumbled onto it one day. GREAT IDEA!

Anonymous

Hiya~
                      Sometimes when your hyperthyroid your periods are irregular, usually the cycles are longer, shorter and scanty. Women with a hyperthyroid can also experience amenorrhea, which is a lack of menstruation. Once your levels are back to normal your periods should start to come back as normal. I hope this helps you out!!
                      Good Luck Always~
                      Mae

Anonymous

Hi Scared,
                        I experienced exactly what you have stated here. I was told that it was because in a two week period of time I went from being pre to peri to post menopausal according to my hormone levels. And that it was all due to Graves Disease. I thought I had lucked out and managed to get through the hell of that whole menopause thing in two weeks. I thought it was a blessing in disguise.
                        I can tell you that since then I have had my Thyroid removed and my thyroid levels are now correct my monthly bill has been arriving as scheduled and not a day late.

Hope this helps.

Pam

Anonymous

call your endo’s office, tell them what’s going on, and then make an appointment to see your ob/gyn. If the GYN blows you off about this, find another one, a better one. It might be somethign ver simple: With Graves affecting all yoru systems, your reproductive hormone balance might be out of whack and need regulating/supplementing. My problematic periods were a first warning about graves, although we didnt realize it at the time. Oral contraceptives can correct this fairly easily, and like all the thyroid meds, it’s just a matter of fine tuning. I was happiest witht he third one the doctor gave me, which, for me, was also gentlest: Tri-Norinyl. Unlike alot of the others, this only has 2 levels and a placeebo, so it fluctuates between the lowere and higher dosage, bringing your system back down more gently before your “period week”. For me, the other types, with 3 levels of estrogen/progesterone were too harsh, and the week I was off for my period, after the highest dose, I was extremely physically uncomfortable.

MY GYN also told me that staying on this medication throughout my treatment is probably the best way to protect my fertility for the future. And the endocrinologist hasnt expressed any concerns about my being on that medication.

Anonymous

Just one comment about the oral contraceptives – I’m on them and I was told by my endocrinologist that they do affect my blood test results. They make the results higher than they would be if I weren’t on the contraceptives. She also told me that this is why I’m on a lower dose of Synthroid than is normal for my weight. Also, I have to tell her if I ever go off the contraceptives because then she will have to readjust my synthroid dose.

Carolyn

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.