Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Caroline,

Your family needs to educate themselves and keep an opened mind. If they’re putting pressure on you of any sort, they need to learn that this is not conducive to your treatment or health. The world and your illness provide enough stress. Those that love you play an important role in trying to buffer as much of this stress as possible. I’m in the reverse role. I’m the wife of one who refused to admit he was ill, refused medical evaluation or treatment, and refused to educate himself on the signs and symptoms of his disease. If he was depressed, angry, or experienced decrease in libido, he figured it was my fault. A little education goes a long way, but that good ole’ 4-letter word in personal relationships goes even further. But it has to be supportive and unconditional love. Tell your family that I said be thankful they have you, and that you care enough about yourself and them to seek medical attention when you need it. Graves’ is very real. It’s not in your head. The disease messes with your head, heart and soul (and body) big time, but the EGG came before the CHICKEN.

Love and prayers,

Peggy C.

Anonymous

Hi Bobbi!

I need to vent about my doctor’s treatment! I knew something was
        wrong.

Thanks for answering my post. I love to read anything you write.
        I really needed a reality check. I’ve had Graves since 1993. I
        was treated with RAI twice. It is so bizzaire because I seem to
        go hypo every 6 mos. Almost like clockwork! I created table, to
        demonstrate my hyper/hypo pattern. It’s depressing in a way.

Last year in September I went hypo, I begged my doctor to take a TSH. He
        refused and sent me to a shrink. He said that it was too soon
        and that my pain was due to “other things” not related to the
        Graves. My holiday was just horrible. It felt like I was in the
        twylight zone, even my family started to ignore me.

This year with our insurance sign-up, I changed doctors she did
        a tsh and it was something like 7.2 with the upper end of normal
        at 5.0!

If you can beleive it, I was also told not to see an opthalmologist
        annually. It was overkill. Overkill!! Geeeesh!

Thanks for letting me vent!

*hugs* ….Carolyn

Anonymous

Hi, Carolyn:

It sounds like your new doctor may be more responsive to you when you talk about your symptoms. I hope so. It makes a big difference. We cannot, as patients, always correctly diagnose what is going on. The human body is complex and sometimes something else can be coming into play that has nothing to do with thyroid hormone levels. But having the doctor willing to LISTEN and check or investigate is important.

As far as the yearly eye exam being “overkill”, I think the only person I’d listen to on that score would be a qualified ophthamologist, AFTER he/she had given me a thorough exam. ; )

Take care,

Bobbi

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.