Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Couldn’t have said it better myself!!!!! Although it is probably a bad idea to feel this way…I have been on antidepressants before and try my hardest to cope without them, don’t like having to rely on a pill for my emotional state. (NOT knocking anyone that DOES…I just personally don’t like them and have found other ways of coping) I don’t even take my emotional issues to my doctor…even though he asks my husband EVERY visit how I am reacting towards things (irritable or emotional)…because I specifically remember him saying when I found out they found cancer in my thyroid after removal…”I am here to answer your ?’s about the technical details…not the emotional ones.” I pretty much got the idea that he does not want to hear how I cope emotionally. However, that does not bother me. I am lucky enough to have a very understanding and helpful family.(Not to mention this BB) Because his first ? every visit is how am I feeling, I’m not quite sure he really meant that the way it came out…but don’t want to have the disappointment of being shunned, just incase.
      Missy

Anonymous

So Lisa R did you get some helpfor your depression? Don’t the endo’s even read books about GD? It talks aboout depression & anxiety on the things I have read on the web about GD in medical books. Yes, some drs. ccan be very insensitie, I think they care about the money and not the patiente.
        Hang in there, you vented very nicely… :)

Anonymous

*BIG HUG*

I understand how you feel.

Jan
          Online Facilitator, NGDF

Anonymous

Ditto, ditto , ditto….we have something more in common than our name. I’ve been dealing with this attitude for the 3 years since I was diagnosed and the 9 months prior to that. I’ve been to a therapist and I know I’m not perfect but, please how can I respond so well to antidepressants if the problems are strictly emotional???!!! Chemical imbalance is real and I still have problems. Sure, I’m stressed – who isn’t – I have a young son, a full time job – a house – a husband and a two hours a day commute….but, everytime I try to go off the antidepressant – the mood swings, anxiety, dry eyes, irritability all returns…like you said I’m not a whiny psychotic person just someone very tired of attitudes and not dealing with what I am saying…Sorry I know this doesn’t make much sense but, venting does help…

Anonymous

Both the GP who diagnosed my Graves’ (after he’d misdiagnosed it as emotional problems for several years) and the endo he referred me to, gave off the strong impression that they believed I had emotional problems that were separate from my thyroid levels.

In my opinion this ignorance is appalling, and a great injustice to the patient. I’m extremely angry when I read of someone else enduring this too.

Ideally our doctors would understand and acknowledge the effects of thyroid imbalance on the brain and emotions, and help us find the resources to deal with these issues to preserve our careers and relationships while on the journey to stabilization of this disease. I know some doctors are great at this, and I hope in the future more will take this approach.

Dianne W
              NGDF Asst. Online Facilitator

Anonymous

Lisa! I just finished reading the other replies to your post. These idiots are a dime a dozen.

I just want to add in – the hardest day of my life was when my now great doc wrote a script for anti-dep’s. I looked at him, and asked “While I’ve been on these before, will I most probably function better if I just accept this as possibly yet another drug for life?” “Yes”. I just cried.

I told my friend with Post Trauma. Stress Syndrome (Vietnam Vet) that story, as he now has the psych & drugs & compassion rolling in his favor. I explained that the brain chemistry is screwed, no matter what you THINK. We all just have to strive to get to a “normal” place for us. It is so individual, this chemistry. The right drugs, the good attentive doctors out there….Forget the facts of “taking drugs”? Never. They are MADE FOR A REASON. When you need help, you are your own worst enemy to second-guess yourself. Issues? Listen, I watched another friend hear that nonsense, too. She had MS the whole time. If only that doc had not dismissed her. Good thing we have other health-care professionals that are smart. Too many think that practicing playing God, is the correct attitude. Don’t let them get you down. Just get away from that moronic nut. He has the “issues”….and the sad thing is, he’s never going to know. Take care!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.