AnonymousOctober 28, 1998 at 4:21 amPost count: 93172
Welcome to the BB, Lew. Sounds like you’re having a hard time right now and you’ve found a tremendous group/site with tons of knowlege to share of all our mutual experiences with GD. As it sounds like you’ve only been on replacement therapy (we avoid using brand names of drugs on line, just fyi), It sounds like we need more info from you about the course of your illness, when diagnosed, how treated and when, and current labs, and your current dosage. Then we will know you better. I’d avoid the sedative, as very addicting and, indeed, just a band-aid, but consider adding an anti-depressant while going through all these changes…I did and still do. Talk it over with your MD…Do you have an endo? Will look forward to hearing more from you. Hang in there…It does get easier.
Sincerely, RachelAnonymousOctober 28, 1998 at 12:35 pmPost count: 93172
I am not sure why a person can’t mention a drug by name. How can others under stand which drugs work well for some, and which ones don’t? I know that so far synthroid hasnt done anything for me except bring me a lot of missery.
i’m not depressed, just very frustrated with a complete lack of progress with synthroid oh oh I used that name again.
Is ther any thing good about armour. I noticed some posts by Leland that would make me think i should try some of it. Does any body else have good results with armour. Please post if you do.
Thanks Lew.AnonymousOctober 28, 1998 at 2:00 pmPost count: 93172
Hi Lew, still waiting for my sister to come so checked the BB again. Last night this Endo was asked a question by someone feeling terrible on his dosage of Synthroid. The Endo giving the talk said it often takes up to a year to find the right dosage and a patient should be monitored regularly and the changes in dosage should be very small so as not to cause any drastic changes. This is a disease of patience. I do not have to take Syn so it was not one of the topics I was taking notes about. Maybe you should see your Endo again and have the dosage changed slightly. That is only me suggesting of course and not the doctor.
Good luck, SASAnonymousDecember 20, 2001 at 9:22 amPost count: 93172
My son is 2 and has Grave’s. He has had several ear infections and they have now decided he needs another set of tubes and his adnodies taken out. His Endo first said that putting him under general anesthia is not a good idea but now she is feeling it would be OK since his thryoid functions have been shut down. He has already gone through a storm before when he had a CAT Scan done and was put out….any recommendations from the BB on this…..I am worried….mmAnonymousDecember 21, 2001 at 9:15 amPost count: 93172
Of course, you are worried. But perhaps it would help for you to step back and look at what might be (MIGHT be) differences in the state of things right now, vs. the way they were when the cat scan was done. If I understand you correctly, your endo said that it would be OK to consider the surgery now that the thyroid is “shut down”. So, ask yourself what differences exist between when the scan was done and now. How far advanced was his treatment at the time of the scan? Are there measurable differences now? (I.e., differences in amounts and/or types of medications, TSH levels, etc.) If there are, then you can see why the endo might have changed his/her mind about the safety of surgery.
The other thing to do is examine the need for the surgery in the first place. Ask questions. One of the problems with ear infections in little ones is that their eustachian tubes are more horizontal than in older children, and fluids can more easily get trapped. As the child ages, the tubes elongate and angle down a bit more, eliminating the problem in a lot of children. So, when does that happen? Why would the child need surgery now? What role are the adenoids playing in the disease process, and why should they be removed? Etc. Etc.
In other words, you need to ask a lot of questions from both types of doctors in order for you to make the best choice for your child. Understand that there are risks with any choice. You will be, essentially, making an evaluation between risks and rewards. Another question that you might ask the doctors is if they would be willing to quantify the risk for you. I.e., Understanding that it is, at best, an educated guess, what is the risk of thyroid storm? 1 in 1000? 1 in 10,000; 1 in 100? What is the risk if you don’t have the surgery of serious adverse consequences? Then weigh them.
I hope this helps,
Bobbi — NGDF Asst. Online FacilitatorAnonymousDecember 21, 2001 at 2:10 pmPost count: 93172
Just wanted to send a note of thanks. I had a long talk with his Endo and got alot of those questions answered and feel better about this surgery. I know there are no guarantees but at least this is the best options for my son and his hearing….have a wonderful holiday and new year….mm
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.