Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi Nic and welcome to the National Graves’ Disease Bulletin Board!
      May we suggest you visit our Home Page and download the welcoming page offered there. You will receive bulletin #1 when you do so. If you choose to join the foundation, you may choose 9 bulletins during the month of June for your reading pleasure.

Most newly diagnosed folks wait 6-8 weeks for their next appointment. You probably will want to have your blood drawn BEFORE seeing your endo, so that you will have your lab results back. If uncertain about this, call your doctor’s office and ask. Don’t be afraid of asking questions.

Your doctor should have told you to avoid getting pregnant until your thyroid is controlled. Please call and clarify this with him/her. This can affect your unborn child if not.

I recommend you go to our home page and check out the FAQ’s there(frequently asked questions. We also offer books for sale for the newly diagnosed there. The two most frequently recommended for our newbies are:

“Your Thyroid, A Home Reference” by Drs. Wood, Cooper and Ridgway

“The Thyroid SourceBook” by Sara Rosenthal

Both of these books are written in layman’s terms that make for easy reading.

Please use our search engine to find former posts about the info you might be interested in. Simply type in the key word(s) and hit search. Also, we strongly recommend going back to the beginning of our BB and reading the first 1,000 posts. They start in June 26, 1996 I believe.
      Happy Reading! It will take you a while, but it’s well worth it.

This info should get you started. Good Luck!

If we can be of any help, we are only a click away.

Best Wishes for Good Health,
      Jan
      Online Facilitator, NGDF

Anonymous

I am 38 years old and have been told I have Graves Disease. Just starting to get information on this subject and am a bit frightened and confused.
        My symptoms progressed rapidly after I gave birth to my third daughter in January. I had a resting heart rate of 144 beats per minute, was shaking badly, couldn’t concentrate among many other symptoms. My blood test showed a thyroid level of 35 and a half. I’m told normal is 3-11.
        I was put on Tenormin (200mg a day) Tapazole (50mg a day) and Prednisone (30mg per day). These drugs have had so many side affects that I have been taken off work and am not allowed to drive. Not that I could if I had to anyway. I even fainted a few days ago.
        I was wondering if anyone else has information on how to get through this. Until my levels come down, surgery or radiation are not options. Because of the age of my youngest daughter I am not leaning toward radiation at this time but have been told by my doctor that these options are at least 2-3 months away.
        Any advice from those that have been there?
        Thanks,
        Chris

Anonymous

Hi Chris,
          I’m sorry to hear that you’re not feeling well. I was just recently diagnosed as well as having a “mild case” of Graves but my symptoms are anything but mild. I too am scared -especially when the symptoms are at their worst. I’m not on ATDs – 6 weeks now. Sometimes I feel better and then there are many times when I don’t. Hang in there. I have found that this bulletin board is a wonderful source of support. You’re going to find that many people feel the same emotions as you do. Take care of yourself and good luck with that baby of yours.
          Ann Marie

Anonymous

Thanks so much Ann Marie and others. It’s hard to find support for such a rare condition. My employer has been rather difficult about the whole situation and keeps hearing from a co-worker that her “sister-in-law” had and overactive thyroid and it was no big deal. I have to explain over and over about my condition and its symptoms. Then there are the drugs and the side effects from them. Some days it seems to go on and on. The doctor has me off work for awhile and the family leave act doesn’t help me because our company is so small.
            My endo is hopeful that in a few months the thyroid will be under control enough to do further treatment with radiation or surgery. Would love to hear from others as to which they chose and the outcome.
            Wish you all success in your treatments and hope you keep the lines of communication open.
            Thanks,
            Chris

Anonymous

I have recently been diagnosed with GD as well and can relate to some of your symptoms, particularly the rapid pulse and tremor. My T4 was 40, and T3 15.7, after just over a month on carbimazole my levels have come down to 20 & 5.7. I feel so much better I can’t believe it! No tremor, I don’t scream at my family, I don’t feel uptight and anxious anymore. My endo wouldn’t give me anything for the symptoms because of slight tendecy to asthma, and so the first 2 & 1/2 weeks on treatment were frustrating, as I didn’t feel any different. Anyway about 5 weeks on carbimazole I feel much better, still get palpatations sometimes and sweaty, but I guess that will pass.
              Hope this has been of help
              Jennie

Anonymous

DO you think that GD affects the way you work. I feel it has, in that I really am not thinking well, and it is a real strain to do so. Have others found this?

Anonymous

Yes, I believe it does affect the way you work. I love my job and now there are times when I can’t concentrate or the physical symptoms are way too much to handle. I keep going to work everyday because I don’t want to “give in” so to speak to this disease. I have my ups and downs. But I also feel that I’m doing the best that I can. Also be honest with your boss if you can. I spoke to him about this and he is very understanding. Yesterday, when the adrenaline waves were coming fast and furious, he told me to go home and rest. I pray each day that things begin to get better real soon. I’m sure that everything will work out in due time. Hang in there at work!
                  Ann Marie

Anonymous

AnnMarie
                    How long have you had GD? I seem to have been so lucky, I feel so much better and I have only been on treatment for 5 weeks. Will this last, or is it more up and down?
                    Jennie

Anonymous

Hi I was just diagnosed with gd a month ago with no symptoms. Went on BB to find out if I should take meds and everyone said yes don’t wait because of severe complications later on. I just started taking meds 4 days ago and only symptoms so far is I get really hot and my hands hurt a little bit from swelling. I wish you well in any treatment you decide. God Bless the BB and everyone here. Chris

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.