Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

My husband and I have an acquaintance who has multiple sclerosis. He once told us, when talking about the changes his disease had brought about in his life, “You can’t change the direction of the wind, but you can trim your sails.” In case you’re not a sailor, all this means is that you can still make progress in the direction you want to go, by changing the way you approach an adverse condition over which you have no control.

I think it is very important for all of us to nurture our emotions with the same care, or more, as we watch our thyroid hormone levels and symptoms. There are things that bring each of us joy that we often forget to do when we’re feeling sick. And because the illness can interfere with specific activities that we love, sometimes we can stall out, as a sailboat would if the sailor kept insisting on heading directly into the wind. I don’t know what brings you personal enjoyment, but I know it helps me to pursue those specific things that make me laugh or bring me a sense of peace. I’ve had to adapt some of those activities. I cannot paddle a canoe, but I can ride in one with someone else paddling — and enjoy the sun and the fresh air. And seek out laughter. I’m a firm believer in the therapeutic effects of a few good deep guffaws. It doesn’t take a lot of energy to put a comedy on the VCR and watch it. Sometimes I have had to d-r-a-g myself to do it, because like everybody else, there are times when I am feeling really down. But laughter always leaves me feeling better, and more able to cope.

Wishing you good times, as well as good health,

Bobbi

Anonymous

Well said, Bobbi. I get so disgusted with myself that I don’t have the energy to saddle my horse, let alone ride him. But at least I have the energy to go out and brush him, feed him, play with him and love him. He missed me for a long time!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.