Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I had a real bad problem with my GD. My doctor never diagnosed it. Meanwhile, I was going into a severe clinical depression. Yes, I did have problems but nothing that right now (treated) I wouldn’t handle. I ended up attempting suicidde and spent 3 weeks in the hospital. It was then that my Graves was diagnosed (but my doc “forgot” to let me know until 4 months later). When I did get treated I felt better. When, I start to think I am better and stop taking my meds, I get depressed again, so then I realize I need to take my meds again. I used to be so hyper but then later I would get tired alot, especially when I got very severely depressed. Now, I am tired alot again, but I think that may partially be due to just having a baby.

Anonymous

I thought that I was the only one….I was extremely tired when Hyperthyroid.
        And, guess what, I went to the doctor and I am now (soon to be changed) hypothyroid,
        and I have insomnia….go figure! This is a nutso disease. In addition
        to being tired all the time with hyperthyroidism, I slept all of the time.
        I admit it….I am too weird for color TV (Steele Magnolias) :-) Good luck
        my friend! ….Carolyn

Anonymous

I suppose this may be one of those “individualized” symptoms of Graves, but I was definitely fatigued when I was hyper. First, there was the large-muscle fatigue that would step in very quickly with any type of exercise/household activity. My doctor had me take a cardiac stress test when I was hyper, but before I was diagnosed. I used to power-walk three miles every morning, but on that stress test, the cardiologist had to hold me, quite literally, on the treadmill because my legs gave out after five minutes. His comment: “Your heart is fine, but you are in ROTTEN shape!” Very scientific.

Then, there was the chronic fatigue that I had because I couldn’t sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time.

There’s probably a psychological component as well — being stressed out over wondering what is going on with your body. But I think this component is just the maraschino cherry on the top of the ice cream sundae. Once I was able to get five or six hours of sleep a night, and the hyper symptoms went away, my energy levels came back more toward normal.

Bobbi

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.