Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I am the only one in my family with a thyroid problem also. However, my older sister had a problem with her hypothalmus (sp) gland as a child and treatment back then was to radiate it…so she has been on Synthyroid for many years due to that.

The family history thing actually bothers me because I cannot find a link. Sometimes I think it would be easier to deal with if I did have that link and someone to talk to that understood what I’m feeling during the crazy days. For now, I chalk my condition up to a medicine my Mom took when she was pregnant with me that has since been found to cause autoimmune disorders…that is the only thing I can think of to blame it on!

Anonymous

Hi Marty! WOW! I thought that was the main way Graves was spread. In my family we have traced it back several generations: My great grandmother, my grandmother, my dad, my aunt, 3/7 of her children, and me. My brother doesn’t have it but I’m insisting that he keep an eye on his 14 year old daughter since it’s so prevalent in our family.
        So…the answer to your question is YES, Graves can run in families!

Anonymous

I would be curious to know how many who DO have GD in a family smoke or are around a smoker.

Anonymous

I was diagnosed with GD around 3 years after quiting smoking.

Anonymous

I have been hard pressed to find a confirmed case of Graves’ in my family. My father however; I suspect may have had a mild form of Graves’. He is a much bigger boned man than I am and had a size 28″ waist for years (I’m a size 30). He also went through a phase where his vision was impaired (double vision with headaches) which seemed to reverse itself in time. He is hypo today . . . . . sounds suspect to me although he was never clinically diagnosed with GD. I suppose times have changed and Dr’s. are much more in tune with some of these issues today.

Regards,

James

Anonymous

What was the medication your mother was on that is suspect in causing your autoimmune disorder?

I am not new to the bb. I have been reading for several months mostly during my bad days “weeks”!! Thank you for your continually interesting posts!

I was diagnosed with graves in the fourth month of my 2nd pregnancy by my ob/gyn. I too have not found any family history of thyroid problems however my sister has juvenile diabetes.

I have chosen to do the med’s thing. Over the last 2.5 years I have been on both tap and ptu as well as thyroxine (the last year) . Funny thing is I was diagnosed with graves by my ob/gyn during my 2nd trimester of my 2nd pregnacy. I never really experienced “hyper” symptoms except maybe my high energy levels I thought I had been blessed with all my life and heart palpatations I credited to the pregnancy. However, I have had a terrible last six months and am seeking advice from my physian and looking for a new endo. I think I have gone hypo even though my blood work is “normal”. I can appreciate GrandmaK’s sitch as I have had to nearly close my business due to fatigue and lack of concentration. Fortunately I work from home on a client by client basis.

I look forward to interacting more often with future posts. It’s time for my nap before my little one wakes. RG

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.