Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

How many times a day one can use them? any limits or bad effects?please let us know- thanks-Sam

Anonymous

Holly,
        I don’t know if this will help or not, but my Ophth did tell me that part of my eyes hurting was from when they are really dry, and he got onto me to use the “preservative free” eye drops very, very often. It does help, but I do know that not all pain is from dry eyes…so it would be good to talk all of this over with your eye doc.
        Hope this helps a little.
        Hugs,
        Ellie

Anonymous

Hi, all! Welcome to all of the newbies! After four years, it’s sooooo good to see the list still alive and well.

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted. I hope all of you Warriors are well and happy. It’s been ten years since my diagnosis and life is good! I used to spend a great deal of time on the BB, learning more about my disease and helping others along the way. Now I spend most of my time enjoying my family, home, and students. I don’t think about Graves’ unless I have email to answer! :) I wish you all the same success with your treatments!

I’ve posted this eye relief tip list before on the BB, but I see the need to run it again. Credit goes to many of the TED Warriors. These tips have been mentioned in and around posts since the BB began. I collected them into one list, and I’ve used many of them myself with success. Here goes…

Dryness, irritation, excessive tearing, and aches are due to retraction of the eyelids that do not close completely at night. Here are some tips from personal experience that may help relieve your discomfort:

* Make a conscious effort to blink. The more and longer you blink, the better.
          * Use artificial tears (Celluvisc, Tears Naturale, HypoTears, Moisture Drops, Genteal) during the day. Avoid using any product that says it will “get the red out.”
          * Use lubricating ointment (LacriLube, Refresh PM, Tears Renewed, DuoLube) at night. You may also want to tape your eyes shut with first aid tape for sensitive skin (3M Micropore – one inch or wider), or tie a bias-folded silk scarf or bandana around your head and cover your eyes. Plastic wrap over the eyes also keeps moisture in.
          * Using a blindfold over ointment-filled eyes may be more comfortable for some individuals. Airline blindfolds work great and can be flipped up in a second when we need instant night vision. Some have an adjustable strap or a knot can be tied in the elastic band to adjust pressure on or off the eyes as needed. They are easily laundered by hand to remove the remnants of the lubricant. Other types of “sleeping masks” can be purchased at most pharmacies and even in the travel sections of department and discount stores.
          * There are adhesive eye patches available that completely seal the eye.
          * Elevate your head with pillows, provided it doesn’t hurt your neck too much. It can relieve the build up of fluids and the puffiness in the eyelids.
          * Tilt your bed with wooden or concrete blocks under the legs at the head of the bed. This will make gravity work to your advantage, and is much better than elevating your head with pillows.
          * Wear dark sunglasses outside for protection against the sun, wind, dust, and smoke. It also helps you avoid those “staring” incidences from others.
          * Wear tinted eyeglasses (prescription or non) indoors to help with the glare from the lights and your computer screen.
          * Wear prism glasses, or cover one eye with a patch, to relieve double vision.
          * Avoid or limit wearing contact lenses.
          * Use low lighting in your home and avoid fluorescent lighting if it bothers your eyes.
          * Tint your car windows.
          * Take a warm steamy bath or a dip in a hot tub. The moisture in the air will soothe your eyes.
          * Use a humidifier in your bedroom to keep the air moist.
          * Avoid drafts, such as those from ceiling fans, open windows, and air conditioners.
          * Use hot or cold compresses, whichever feels better.
          * Use a soft gel-filled ice pack on your eyes to help reduce swelling and pain.
          * Use a bag of frozen peas on your eyes as an ice pack. They help with the swelling and ease the pain a bit. They also conform to your eyes without adding too much weight.
          * Use cucumber slices on closed eyes (feels cool & supposedly has enzymes that soothe the eye), or try tofu (feels soft, cool, and mushy). These are the East Coast/West Coast versions.
          * Specialty bath shops sell eye masks with an adjustable strap. The mask is filled with flax, lavender, etc. Some people have found this mask to be very soothing, especially when placed in the refrigerator or freezer for a short time. Do not get these masks wet, as the seeds will sprout.
          * Ask your doctor to prescribe diuretics to temporarily to relieve swelling around the eyes.
          * Avoid using salt or eating salty foods, which will help reduce water retention and swelling.
          * Avoid smoke-filled rooms.
          * If you are a smoker, stopping will improve the appearance of your eyes, minimize irritation, and decrease the likelihood of severe eye involvement. Tobacco worsens the autoimmune attack for unknown reasons.
          * When you have trouble reading, use a magnifying page and increase the font on your computer.
          * Try to avoid stress. This is easier said than done, but stress is known to have a role in eye flare-ups.

Wishing you good health and happiness!
          Debby
          OLAF

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.