Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Thanks for the response, Shirley. OK. I am definitely a wimp when it comes to going to the dentist. It comes from all the pain I’ve experienced when the anesthetic didn’t work. I’ve had crowns ground, with five shots of novocaine, which didn’t numb the dumb tooth. I’ve had root canals where it wasn’t numb until they shot directly into the nerve canal. So, saying I might be “nervous” when I go in is probably an understatement. So I guess this is one of those self-fullfilling prophecy type statements. I get nervous that this time the shots won’t work, and it helps to assure that they WONT work. Maybe I should take tranquilizers before the visit??? A redundant question. Anyway, I appreciate your response.

Anonymous

Hi again Shirley, We are all used to the messages lagging on day to day, but the dialogue
        continues none the less. Thanks for being here. How are you doing atthis point in your treatment
        recovery? Have you become aware of the survey? You can access
        the questions at http://www.support-group.com/links/graves/survey.htm

Well, I am not attached to periodontal disease being auto-immune,
        and as I said, I do understand that it indicates causally that there are bacteria
        present. I take the rigorous route to combat it. If, as you point out,
        the immune system is compromised peridontal disease will be worse,
        what kind of relationship does that indicate? It is hard to understand what kind of “compromise”
        GD is. There is the type of compromise where the immune system does not seem to be
        alerted or respond to threats and the body is inundated with opportunistic
        diease and infection(like AIDS). But in GD, it seems that we are experiencing
        an immune system mistake, but it is a system that is plenty active. I have tried to read
        and understand about what is known about the nature of the antibodies,
        their attraction to certain protein tissues, their “key like” stimulation of the thyroid
        gland in a manner similar to TSH, etc. Of course I am not going to understand
        what the experts say they don’t quite get yet, but it doesn’t stop me from
        trying! So, that is what I wonder, what is the relationship between the two?
        Are you saying that peridontal disease simply has an easier time
        wrecking havoc on a person who has an auto immune diseas, but they anyone with bacteria
        can get it, and it isn’t itself an auto immune related disease?

We know that we are all guilty, in our efforts to share and help one another here
        of a full spectrum of information, from confused and dangerous all the way to
        crest of the wave and lifesaving.
        I have found it interesting that there has been a great commonality in several other dental factors, the dificultiy
        in numbing and then the reaction to ephinephrine. I used to get my teeth drilled with no novacaine
        because I found that if I just relaxed and didn’t worry about the pain that I forgot
        I had been at the dentist when it was over, no numb funny business. My dentist
        went slowly and checked with me. For heavy procedures he would use numbing agents, but I continued to relax..
        so your hypothesis regarding anxiety and thension may not apply to me.
        I have cost my dentists much time since the onset of GD, waiting and numbing and etc.
        Well, you might be right about the rule, and I may be the exception.
        I think we have an amazing forum here. We have new possibilities for sharing info
        in specific realms. I think it is wonderful when any health care providers
        get involved and interact regarding the commonalities that may reveal
        new information and improve future understanding and treatments.
        Thanks for the input. Jeannette PS no apology for long post, I don’t seem to write any other kind.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.