Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Shirley, I’m glad we’re still discussing these matters. I was afreaid that “official answers” would thwart the type of inquiry we’re into here on this board. As you’ve no doubt noticed, we’re a group who question more than we accept conventional medical authority.

I’d like to respond to some of what you have said. I have Sjogren Syndrome and have not had a single cavity in over ten years. I brush and floss. I even use (gag) artificial saliva when the Sjogren flares up. During the time when I became distressingly hypothyroid, however, I did have periodontal disease and was treated, quadrant by quadrant. Now, I know that the symptoms are inflamed, receding, and (in my case) bleeding gums, but research tells me that periodontal disease is “an inflammation or infection of the supporting structures of the teeth, the bone and the surrounding gum tissue”. I also see many references to the link between diabetes and periodontal disease, osteopenia and periodontal disease, and cardiovascular disease and periodontal disease.

Not much research has been done on Graves’. An NIH study is currently looking at Sjogren and Hypothyroidism. Obviously, not enough is known to state categorically that there is no connection between Graves’ and gum disease. Perhaps the Sjogren is exaggerated when one is severly hypothyroid from RAI, I don’t know — but I have a sneaking suspicion…

Anonymous

Thanks for responding Shirley. I agree with what Redhen is saying
        although I haven’t had test for Sjogren’s and haven’t had RAI – (I had
        surgery)I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a connection
        somewhere.

I look forward your further posts.

Kathleen

Anonymous

Sorry it took me so long to get back on line. I’d like to respond to
          everyone who had question for me. Maybe I can help a little. I’m
          going to take the responses one by one:
          Bobbi, SAS, BonnieBell,
          All you guys seem to have problems getting numb. I have several theor-
          ies. First is that you probably don’t realize how common it is for
          people to have difficulty getting anesthetized. Frequently we have
          to give three and four injections. Sometimes, we can’t get anesthesia,
          especially with lower teeth. It’s possible though, that when you’re hyper-
          throid, you’re really stressed and sensitive and sometimes when people
          are really stressed and frightened they don’t respond well to anesthesia.
          Kathleen, you had some questions about Sjogrens Syndrome. Well, if
          you have Sjogrens syndrome it has a tremendous effect on the health of
          your teeth. Not because it’s an autoimmune disorder, but because that
          particular syndrome significantly decreases the amount of saliva in
          your mouth. Saliva has a very important role in your dental health.
          It flushes the teeth and their are antibodies in your saliva that fight
          the bacteria in your mouth that cause cavities and gun disease. People
          with Sjogrens Syndrome have rampant cavities and need intensive dental
          care.
          Caroline, Staining is probably due to a change in your diet. Perhaps
          you’re drinking more tea, or drinking more soda. The behavioral changes
          you have when you are hyperthroid are more likely to be causing
          increased staining of your teeth than anything else.
          Gwen, I agree, stress makes everything worse.
          Jeanette, Periodontal disease is not an autoimmune disorder. It is caused
          by bacteria. If your immune system is compromised,then it will be worse.

I’ll try to come online every couple of days. Don’t hesitate to ask
          any questions. I’m happy to share my knowledge.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.