Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Stephanie brings up a good question. I am curious about the answer too. I have read about as much literature as I can on Graves Disease since I was diagnosed last week. I have not read anything about a correlation between Grave’s and memory loss or alzheimers. However, my symptoms sometime lead me to wonder if there could be a correlation because I frequently forget what someone has just asked me to do, why I am going to a certain room, or what someone has asked me to pick up for them at the store. I also “Zone Out” where I just stare at what ever is in front of me and if someone is speaking to me during this “Zone,” I generally do not hear them. My boyfriend had especially noticed this change in the past several months. I interested to see if anyone else has these symptoms or has an explaination for them. Thanks for your help!

Anonymous

It is true that there is some correlation between thyroid problems and temporary problems of short term memory loss, problems finding words when you are in conversation, and mood swings. These don’t occur in everyone with graves’ and it is normally temporary.

One of the first things checked when Alzheimer’s is suspected is the thyroid levels as this can look like AD in some people.

Bruce

Anonymous

This may sound like a weird question but I find myself quite concerned: Can thyroid problems affect the mind? I was diagnosed with Graves disease (hyperthyroidism) a few months ago and have tried to find out about more about it. Through my little bit of research, there seemed to be references to thyroid problems causing Alzheimers . Can this be true?. Will this disease erode my mind? I’m very worried. How can I prevent this from happening? Does anyone have any information about this or have heard/read anything in regard to this matter? If so , please respond. — stepkoni@castle.net . Thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.