Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

CJ: What a terrific message to wake up to this morning! Thanks.

Bobbi

Anonymous

Hi All: First, I want to thank you all for sharing on this BB. Reading it everyday has really helped me deal with my diagnosis of GD. I’ve decided to use ATD as treatment. I’ve read that rashes and hives are a possivle side effect, I’m very prone to this and wonder if anyone knows if propylthiouracil causes hives less than methimazole or vice versa or are they the same?

Anonymous

There should be data like this (incidence of allergic rash), but the only person who might have it, or be able to tell you how to find it, would be your pharmacist. When drugs are promoted for FDA approval, this type of data is mandatory. But I don’t know how to find it myself.

Bobbi — NGDF Online Facilitator

Anonymous

After having been someone who suffered a massive allergic reaction to Tapazole, my endo told me that there is a 5% allergic reaction rate to Tapazole. He also said this is, “very high compared to other drugs.” Secondly, he told me that if I had an allergic reaction to Tapazole, I had a 50% chance of having an allergic reaction to PTU.

Basically, it’s a bit of a crap shoot, but certainly worth a try. I’m riddled with allergies and always have had trouble with various meds, so I wasn’t totally stunned when I broke out in a massive sea of hives. We opted not to push things with PTU. (My 2nd opinion endo at Mayo said another nasty allergic reaction could be very dangerous for me, personally, my endo in town said we would do whatever I wanted, but monitor me *very* closely if I wanted to try the PTU.)

Don’t be afraid, just be aware. If you take your meds and start scratching a little while later, pay attention to it. Don’t wait 3 days, thinking you’ve gotten some bug bites like I did, to make the connection.

Good luck!

~Melinda

Anonymous

Hello, i had a really awful allergic reaction to mercazole, after being on them for 3 weeks, then Dr put me on PTU, iv’e been on them 4weeks and no allergy as yet. The funny thing is whilst on the mercazole i felt really well quick, but the PTU seems to be a lot slower, I feel so tired all the time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.