Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Val,
      My endo also only had me off the meds for 3 days before my RAI.
      He put me on beta-blockers during this time, and back on the
      meds 3 days after RAI. My technicians also wanted me to be
      off the meds for 4-5 weeks before, but me endo said that would
      have been very dangerous for me (since I still had a 79% uptake!)
      And I have great trust in my endo: I am very lucky there.
      Lesli

Anonymous

Here is some info that the endo at MSU told me about. It is a simple paragraph of info, but it could be very helpful in explaining about the antibodies that are tested for and why.

“Antithyroid Antibodies:
        Antithyroid antibodies often are associated with and play a role in thyroid diseases. The antibodies of most clinical importance are the Antithyroid Microsomal (measured by the Antithyroid Peroxidase assay), the Antithyroglobulin and the Thyroid Simulating Immunoglobulin. The Antithyroid Microsomal Antibodies are usually elevated in patients with Autoimmune Thyroiditis (Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis) and may be used to help predict which patients with subclinical hypothyroidism (Normal Free T4 and elevated TSH) will go on to develop overt hypothyroidism. Antithyroglobulin antibodies may also be elevated in patients with autoimmune thyroiditis, but this is less frequent and to a lesser degree. Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulins are associated with Grave’s Disease and are the likely cause of the hyperthyroidism seen in this condition. These antibodies attach to the thyrotropin (TSH) receptor in the thyroid gland and activate it. While Antithyroid Microsomal Antibody levels are usually highest in Autoimmune Thyroiditis, and Thyroid Simulating Immunoglobulins are highest in Grave’s Disease, each may be present the both diseases, as well as in family members without clinical disease. There are several other less common antibodies associated with autoimmune thyroid disease but they are usually not measured in the clinical setting.”

This can be found at:
        http://www.hsc.missouri.edu/medicine/thyroid/thy_test.html#Antibodies

Remember that when your endo tests you for these antibodies, they may be testing to see if you have other thyroid function problems other than Grave’s, which is sometimes true.
        Thyroid stimulating immmunoglobulins are also know as Thyroid hormone binding globulins (TBG) or thyroid stimulating antibodies or thyroid stimulating immunobodies.

hope this is helpful,

Ron

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.