Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Trish,
      Funny you bring this up. Jake has been experiencing back pain for a week or so now, with no cloo to the cause.
      Maybe this should be investigated further. As for what the endo told
      you about being more supsepible to other autoimmune diseases now, this is quite true.
      Not to worry you or anyone else, but knowledge is impowering to us all.
      Ay least now you are aware of the possibilities and can be on the lookout
      for other problems, should they make themselves known.
      Take care and better health to you.

Regards,
      JAN

Anonymous

trish i just found out i have the same thing in my back after rai
        from falling 2 months ago how sweet it is lovely world of graves

feel better steve

Anonymous

Hi to all! I need some help and hope someone out there has some info for me. I have now been diagnosed with degenerative arthritis. I had RAI for my graves over 2 years ago and have been feeling pretty well this last year, now that my meds are regulated. Anyway, to make a long story short, I’ve had hip and back pain for about 5 or 6 months now and thought it was kidney pain or something. X-rays showed the arthritis and that that is what’s causing the pain. Anyway, my doctor said this is another autoimmune disease and once you have one type of autoimmune disease you’re more prone to another. I have heard this before, but wondered if any of yoy can shed any light on this. Thanks, Trish

Anonymous

Hi, Trish:

I’m sorry to hear about the arthritis. According to what I’ve read, once someone turns up with one autoimmune disease, statistically they have a SLIGHTLY higher risk of developing others. This is not to say they WILL develop them. And I’ve never seen actual numbers to support this comment, or to indicate just how much higher “slightly higher” is . In autoimmune disease, the body’s immune mechanism has lost the ability to distinguish foreign tissue from normal tissue. The normal immune process is activated only when foreign, or unfamiliar, tissue(a transplant, a virus, a bacteria) enters the body. Antibodies to that foreign tissue are created, to eliminate it. But with us, and people with diabetes, arthritis, etc., our immune systems have, for some as yet unknown reason, decided that some piece of normal tissue is “foreign”, and set off an antibody response to it. In very basic terms, statistics have shown that if an immune system messes up once, it has a better than normal chance of messing up again. (For whatever THAT observation is worth!)

I hope your arthritis gets controlled quickly.

Bobbi

Anonymous

I was diagnosed with arthritis in my hip about a year before I started having hyper symptoms. At first I attributed it to running–I thought possibly I had injured my lower back. Later my hip began to cause quite a lot of pain, especially at night and getting out of bed in the morning. X-rays showed arthritis in my hip and pelvis. It is still really painful on wet and cold days.

Don’t know if this info helps, but maybe it will contribute to more survey results.

Best regards,
              Valerie L.

Anonymous

Hi Trish!
                I have been having some problems with my platelets and my doctor (now a hematologist) is pointing to another autoimmune disease (immune thrombocytopenic purpura). I don’t know the final results yet. He also said that a patient with one immune disease ( I also have graves, but I have been in remission for almost 5 years) has a greater chance of getting another one. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the future I get arthritis too because my hip join hurts sometimes. I always thought it was due to aerobics, riding the stationary bike or just from standing for long periods of time. Those are the situations after which my hip join hurts.
                Good luck to you,
                Denise E.

Anonymous

I have complained to my doctors about my hip joints hurting. I can’t sit the same position for too long and if I sit cross legged, I can hardly get up. My experience has been that my doctors do not want to address it – they just go “hum” and that’s it.

Anonymous

I have had this for quite some time. I am newly diagnosed with Graves, and as of yet hadn’t put the two together.

Anonymous

And I thought it was the fact that I have gain 20 pound, why I can go up stairs, and doing step aeorbics. If I fall I can get up well, kneeing is a joke. I’m 35 years old and can hardly walk, running is just a memory. I told my Endro. doctor I was having problems with my knees and said see my Primary Doc., Hell, he didn’t get the itching for a year, the heart beat (and I have a heart mummer), the anixety, not able to sleep, hair thinning and the hot flashs, what is he going to do?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.