Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi James,

The reason we are told to keep away from folks is to reduce their radiation exposure. It is the same reason families do ont go into the x ray room withh a family member while they haveing x-rays. Why expose them to radiation they do not need.

It was determined that we needed the the radiation not our famlies. Kind of simplistic but the intent is the same. I get an x ray when needed but do not invite others in with me.

Jake
      On-line Facilitator

Anonymous

Well, I’ve decided to follow my doctor’s advice and have the RAI next Tuesday. I’ve read several conflicting things regarding going to work, not going to work, being around people, not being around people, etc. One question I haven’t seen addressed, though, is pets… is there any potential hazard to pets, specifically smallish dog and cats?

Thanks!

Anonymous

JenH,
          I had RAI done a couple of months ago. I stayed away from my children and my husband for a week(didn’t have to stay away from my husband but he was afraid of me):) I stayed with my best friend. I took all the precautions that they warn you about like using paper plates washing everything I used etc. But my friend did get sick with flu like symptoms. I am not sure if it had anything to do with the radiation or not. If you can take the time off work I would and find someone to pet sit. My nieghbors cat had a thyroid problem and they had to do surgery. She compares me to her cat all the time.:)The radiation may affect your pets,why take the chance. It is just my opinion. Good luck whatever you decide.
          Peg

Anonymous

Hi JenH,

I had RAI at the end of May, and we have a cat and a dog, so I asked this question of the doctor. She did advise that, just like small children, there is a risk of the radiation to the pets. The two types of radiation risk associated with being near an RAI patient are the excess RAI that is excreted from the body (mostly in urine, but small amounts in sweat and saliva), and the external radiation that is like exposure to, say, a dental x-ray. Guarding against the excreting RAI would include things like not sharing your food with the animals, and wearing gloves when you put food into their bowls. The “x-ray exposure” stuff (just using that term since it’s one that’s easily understood) is best protected by staying a distance from the animals — six feet is the number I’ve heard. If it’s impossible for you to do that, definitely get them settled somewhere else for those first couple of days. Our cat barely recovered from my pushing him away for two days — he didn’t understand AT ALL (of course, he’s a cat!).

Good luck to you, I hope you’re feeling better soon!

-Ski
            NGDF Assistant Online Facilitator

Anonymous

Thanks Ski and Peg – I agree, it’s better to be safe than sorry with my pets. My youngest child is 15, my daughter will be back in college and my eldest is working in Florida, so my husband and pets are the ones I have most to be concerned with. Also, I work at a nuclear plant, so I’ll have to carry a note around with me for a while in case I set off any alarms at work! I don’t plan on going back for 2-3 days, and I guess I’ll guage that on how I feel. Any suggestions from experience on that one?

Thanks to all – this BB is, as always, the best!

Jake – I’ve been thinking about you! You’re in my prayers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.