Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi, Pam:

First off, RAI doesn’t necessarily “kill” all the thyroid. I’m walking testimonial to that. ; ) Often there’s some thyroid left, just not enough to make us sick again. I often think that “kill” is too emotionally-charged a word for adults much less children not to feel huge qualms about doing RAI or surgery. It is a difficult fear to get around. And your daughter’s fears and feelings are important. There may be ways to get her to understand, and accept, that her thyroid is going to constantly HURT her, by making her weak and sick. It’s as if an old friend suddenly started beating you up, every time they had the chance. It isn’t a friend anymore.

Perhaps you could find one or more of the recent articles about Gail Devers, the Olympic athlete, who has Graves. She had RAI and went right back into competition when she got well again. She has had some articles written about her Graves recovery. There are also some articles about a pro-golfer, Pat Bradley(? something like that), who also had RAI and went back to her sport. I think the National Graves’ Disease Foundation is a source for that article, if not the Devers’ also. Since your daughter is a good athlete, it might give her more confidance in the treatment, and more hope, to know that other athletes have gone through this, too, and come out strong and competitive again.

Wishing you all good luck,

Bobbi

Anonymous

im dead strong against giving a child rai
        i would waite thats just my opinion

steve

Anonymous

I am the mother of an 11-year-old girl who was diagnosed with Graves’ disease at age 9. She was on PTU for 2 years and did just fine — no complaints of side effects. We took her off PTU in October and so far she has been in normal range — but her last blood work showed a bing increase in one of her levels (T-4, I think). If she goes out of range, her endocrinologist is pushing us to do RAI. She has told me she doesn’t want to “kill” her thyroid, and I don’t think I could have it done against her will. She is also a state-level athlete, who her coach thinks will become a national-level athlete in the next few years, so if we were to do the RAI, now is the time. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

I had a radioactive substance, either RAI or radium, in 1954,when I was 12 and weighed
            only 46 pounds. I do not know if it was for diagnostic or therapeutic
            reasons, or what the dosage is. I only know that I am not well anywhere
            in my body. I am severely hypothyroid and it does not seem to be correctable
            with replacement therapy. I have many other diseases, all thyroid related.
            I am extremely concerned that the medical profession is now recommending
            this treatment for children. They have so much longer to live than adults,
            and so many more genes to be expressed.
            The active thyroid hormone, T3, functions by unwinding the DNA so that
            genes can be copied to form all the chemicals your body needs to work
            properly. I have not gotten an answer as to whether this radioactive iodine
            becomes part of the T4 or T3 molecule. The number after the T refers to
            how many iodine atoms are in the molecule.
            At any rate, that’s the last place I want radiation, my genes.
            Any thoughts from any researchers?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.