Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

OK, I’ll give this to you straight, Cathy. You may need a dictionary, though. ; )

“Neutrophils, the most numerous and important type of white cells in the body’s reaction to inflammation, constitute a primary defense against microbial invasion through the process of phagocytosis. These cells can also cause some body tissue damage by their release of enzymes and endogenous pyrogenes.”

Also: An increase in the absolute number and percentage of neutrophils occurs in:

” a. acute, localized and general bacterial infections; b. inflammation (eg, rheumatic fever, acute gout); c. intoxications — metabolic (eg., gout and uremia) and poisoning by chemicals and drugs; d. acute hemorrhage; e. acoute hemolysis of RBCs; f. myeloproliferative diseases; g. tissue necrosis due to myocardiainfarction, tumors, burns, gangrene, carcinoma; h. some viral and rickettsial diseases”

And, a decreased absolute number of neutrophils occurs in:
      “a. acute, overwhelming bacterial infections; b. viral infections (like influenza, hepatitis, mononucleosis); c. rickettsial diseases, some parasitic diseases (malaria); d. drugs, chemicals, toxic agents, and radiation; e. blood diseases…; f. hormonal disorders; g. anaphylactic shock; h. hypersplenism; i. liver disease.

Physiologic conditions such as stress, excitement and exercise temporarily cause increased neutrophils. Steroid administration can interfere in the count. Exposure to extremes of heat of cold can interfere with the count.

Agranulocytosis has marked neutropenia (low, low numbers of neutrophils in the blood).

I hope this helps.

Bobbi (from A Manual of Laboratory & Diagnostic Tests, 5th edition, by Frances Fischbach).

Anonymous

Bobbi,
        If you have your handy-dandy laboratory test reference book nearby… what are “neutrophils”?

TIA,
        CathyQ

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.