Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

When we have too high a level of thyroid hormone (i.e. are hyperthyroid) the muscles of the upper eyelid can tighten and pull back (lid retraction). This gives hyperthyroid people a “stare” look that many associate with the eye disease, but it is not the eye disease. It often goes away once normal levels of hormone are back. The eye disease is caused by antibody action, and is not affected by thyroid hormone levels. So, insofar as PTU can control thyroid hormone levels, it might make a slight difference in the appearance of the eyes by eliminating the tightening of those eyelid muscles. But PTU has NO affect on antibody levels which might cause the eye disease.

Bobbi — NGDF Online Facilitator

Anonymous

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Graves in the third grade. I had most of my thyroid removed surgically in the 7th grade and went into remission. Recently, I relapsed (I’m now almost 27).

I was put on PTU again in March. One of my work colleagues said my eyes looked different (better!), which made me happy. I just went back into remission and am now on no medication!

Has anyone else had a positive eye change with PTU? And does it last just while on PTU or through remission?

Also, I was going to go through RAI almost immediately after I relapsed, but I’m glad I didn’t because PTU seemed to have put me back in remission rather quickly! Who knows how long this remission will last, but I’m glad for now.

Thanks for listening.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.