Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Ever since GD and RAI I have had high prolactin levels very very often. So I don’t ovulate and have not been able to get pregnant. I’m wondering what other peoples experiences have been with this and also what else prolactin affects. I had an MRI of the pituitary gland like 3 1/2 years ago and everything was o.k. so noone has suggested I have it done again. But I think that just because it was o.k. then doesn’t mean it is now. What do you think?? thanx Kendra

Anonymous

Hi Kendra!!Yes, I have had high prolactin too, but I had hyperprolactinemia before I was diagnosed with GD as well as after RAI. My endo told me she thought the two were unrelated in my case. My prolactin hasn’t been *super* high; I think the highest it tested was 37.1. However, just like you I had an MRI to rule out the possibility of a pituitary tumor. The MRI didn’t detect anything, but to be safe my doctor prescribed a medication to reduce prolactin levels. Has your doctor recommended any similar medicine to you? I also do not ovulate, so I’m with you there. This medication I’m on is has been known to trigger regular menstruation and possibly ovulation so I’ve been cautioned to use protection if I don’t want to get pregnant now. If pregnancy is your desire, I would definitely talk to your doctor about getting a prescription. I was told that once you have an MRI that rules out a pituitary tumor and your prolactin levels don’t exceed 50 in later blood tests that there isn’t a need to redo the MRI. ( As you probably know, prolactin is the hormone that stimulates the production of breast milk during and after pregnancy.)Hope this helps–glad you’re back on the board! I missed you for awhile there! :0)—Ariel

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.