Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I am currently 11 weeks into my second pregnancy. I was not diagnosed until midway through my first pregnancy when my resting heart rate reached 160 bpm. I have known I had a multi-nodular goiter since 2011, but prior to pregnancy, my hormone levels were always within the normal range. I was medicated for my entire 3rd trimester on beta blockers (metoprolol) and methimazole. I was on the highest dose of beta blockers recommended in pregnancy and my resting heart rate was still around 130. My thyroid levels went back within normal range a few months post-partum. Fast forward 18 months and I am pregnant with baby 2. I am only at 11 weeks and my TSH is already down to .007 and my Free T3 is up to 4.3. I had somehow convinced myself that this pregnancy would be different, but it is turning out to be similar. Does anyone else on here have experience with Graves in pregnancy? I’m really just interested in commiseration/sharing experiences more than anything else. Thanks!

Kimberly
      Online Facilitator

Hello and welcome – hopefully, others will chime in here, but a few notes…

When you are logged in, you can use the “search posts” feature to search for keywords such as pregancy, pregnant, etc. to read posts from other forum members.

It’s actually common for TSH to be on the low side and free T4 on the high side early in pregnancy – so make sure that your lab is using trimester-specific ranges.

If you do end up needing an antithyroid medication, PTU is the preferred drug during the first trimester, as there is less of a risk of birth defects than with methimazole.

Finally, make sure your doctor is aware of the new guidelines for treating hyperthyroidism in pregnancy. Antibody testing is now recommended during the first trimester.

Wishing you all the best!

goodfriendjen

Hello Tranquilla

I am currently 24w4d pregnant with my second child (daughter) and have Graves. I was medicated with PTU in the first trimester and MMI in the second for both of my pregnancies. I was dx with GD at 36 years old, 3 months after getting married, so due to time being of the essence, I decided trying for children was the utmost importance after it took over a year to get my thyroid levels back in range after my initial diagnosis. RAI isn’t for me and, if I do something definitive, I’d elect for TT but my endo didn’t want me to risk losing more time getting pregnant. Saying all that to say, it’s not my ideal choice to be on Class D drugs during pregnancy but it is what it is. I have been on 100 mg PTU in first trimester and 5 mg MMI during second. With my first pregnancy I was able to come off all meds at 28 weeks and stayed off until 5 months postpartum. My daughter is 100% happy and healthy so far! I just pray daily that neither of my daughters will ever have to deal with GD and that there is a cure by then.

Anyway, thankfully there have been no complications and I hope to come off the MMI during the third trimester again this time; although I have a new endo for this pregnancy and she seems a lot more reluctant to allow that than my previous endo during my first pregnancy. GGGGGRRRRRRRR. I wish they would listen more and trust!

Happy to listen/answer any questions you might have!

goodfriendjen

Kimberly

My endo told me there were no specific ranges for FT’s during pregnancy – is that incorrect information? If so, can you please post the ranges for FT4 and FT# (although she won’t test FT#) during pregnancy?

Thanks,
            Jen

Kimberly
            Online Facilitator

Hello – This will vary by lab, so it’s possible that the specific lab your doc uses doesn’t have trimester-specific ranges. You can read more in this document from the American Thyroid Association (pages 1086-88 of the original journal article):

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/thy.2011.0087

(Note on links: if you click directly on the following link, you will need to use your browser’s “back” button to return to the boards after viewing, or you will have to log back in to the forum. As an alternative, you can right-click the link and open it in a new tab or new window).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.