Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Does anyone have experiences to share regarding taking generic levothyroxine made by different manufacturers? I have recently changed pharmacies due to a change in health insurance which means my upcoming refill of levothyroxine
      will come from a different manufacturer. I am a bit uncomfortable from what I have read about variations among generic levothyroxine. Will appreciate hearing about others’ experiences with this.

Liz1967

I have been on Lannett labs levothyroxine all along but would love to switch as of price fixing thing they have going on with Mylan causing price to rise from $2 to $13! All I could find on bioequivalence between manufacturers is this excerpt from a 2006 article, but if your manufacturer is listed, maybe it will give you some idea if you will be getting slightly more or less. For sure, get labs six weeks after switch to see if any effect.

“For example, the Sandoz generic LT4 product is 12.5% more bioavailable than Synthroid® (Abbott Laboratories, Abbott Park, IL), but is 2.3% less bioavailable than Levoxyl® (King Pharmaceuticals, Bristol, TN).[9] Synthroid® is 9% less bioavailable than the generic product from Mylan Laboratories, and 3% less bioavailable than LT4 Lannett (the generic version of Unithroid®, Jerome Stevens Pharmaceuticals, Bohemia, NY).[9] “

Evelyn

Wow! Thank you!

SueAndHerZoo

I had a TT in 2013 and was put on generic Levo. I’ve struggled since then to keep my TSH consistent so my doc decided about a year ago to put me on Synthroid instead to see if that helps. I don’t think it did because I’m still fluctuating all over the place but at least now I know that the medication is not the issue.
            Sue

Evelyn

Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.