Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Sometimes, the radical shift between being hyperthyroid and going hypothyroid after rai or surgery, can cause swelling to occur in the face/eyes. I looked like a battered wife for about a month and a half, and it was all do with that shift. I didn’t even go radically hypo — just a little bit. My eyes were swollen from brow to cheek bone, about the size of tangerines. And it turned a disgusting shade of mauve. Once I was on replacement hormone, and regulated (more or less) the swelling went away. So while soft tissue fat pad growth around the eyes can be due to TED, getting swelling around the eyes may simply be the body’s response to being darned sick. The only way to be sure what is going on is to talk with your doctor.

Bobbi — NGDF Asst. Online Facilitator
      Bobbi@ngdf.org

Anonymous

I am 4 weeks post RAI and my left eye lid is swelling and it is somewhat painful behind the eye. It hurts to look out to the side or down. Is this the beginning of TED. There is no bulging that I see yet and there is no problem with the right eye. I already have perpheral double vision and vertical eye muscle imbalance, both these were pre-RAI. I am currently on 450mg of PTU and the endo doesn’t want me to take steriods because of needing a test for Addison’s.

Thanks,
        Lisa

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.