Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I have orbital decompression surgery scheduled for June 17. But I have not heard of this procedure. They will go through my nose and sinus cavities. The doctor did not mention size of muscles just the fat part. He did not have any information on me except what he could see and did not ask for a CT scan but I ask for one. Is this a new procedures? I do not have to have the surgery I have had the bulging eyes since 1980 without changes but am tired of when I run into things hitting my eyes first. The doctor says we will do it out patient and I will be able to go back to work in a week. Does this sound normal? I need help figuring all this out. Laura

Anonymous

Hello and welcome to our site.

A few words about orbital decompression; it is done to protect the optic nerve from compression (muscles and fat squeeze the nerve damaging it), to protect the cornea from exposure and or if there is a change in color vision or field of vision.

If these terms are new to you I suggest you buy one of the books on our recommended reading list. We have a whole chapter on eye surgery in our book “Graves’ Disease In Our Own Words” and it outlines all the eye related surgeries.

To fine a good doctor who has been trained to do this surgery we recommend you find a doctor who is ASOPERS board certified. We have a link to them on our links page. In order to be board certified in the American Society Of Ophthalmic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPERS). They have been trained to do this surgery and are well versed in its procedures.

To give you and idea how well these doctors are trained. They are all eye surgeons first, then apply for a fellowship at one of about five hospitals in the US. At Bascolm Palmer, Eye Hospital (where I have had all my eye surgeries) they had over 2000 applicants for 4 positions. Only the best of the best pass the test and get selected.

Ask your doctor if s/he is ASOPERS board certified, how many orbital decompressions they perform a year (at least 20) and what their post op success rate is.

It is rare to have this surgery done out-patient, most doctors want to monitor overnight to watch for bleeding or other potential problems.

It is also rare to go back to work after a week. I took two weeks off and I had minimal problems. I was ready to go back but could not drive due to double vision.

Find out if your doctor is ASOPERS. If not you can click on their link and see who is in our area.

We are only a click away.

Jake
        On-line Facilitator
        Co-Author “Graves’ Disease In Our Own Words”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.