Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

New here. In 2011 I had a TT after trying to control my Graves for over two years. It was the right choice for me and I feel great now! However, within the first year after removal, I gained 80 pounds. Since then I gained and then lost another 25 lbs. but I cannot for the life of me loose the initial 80 lb gain. I have tried just about everything. I was a Weight Watchers leader for 4 years prior and know how to loose on that program. I’ve done limited to no carbs. I am active, I put over 500 miles on my bike this summer. I am not unhappy with my weight. I am concerned about other health issues it is causing; sleep apnea, gerd, and pre diabetes to name a few. My BMI is 37. I have a horrible family health history of breast cancer, diabetes, fatty liver cirrhosis, osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, gout…
      I have been doing some medical research on the relationship between graves, TT, and weighted gain and feel the odds are stacked against me. I come seeking others who have felt with this. My doctor and I feel tha Beriatric Surgery would be a good tool to add to my arsenal. I’m looking for validation. It’s a huge decision.

Kimberly
      Online Facilitator

Hello and welcome! I am also a former WW leader; I had to quit when I just wasn’t able to stay at my goal weight following treatment for Graves’. (I took methimazole for several years & then went hypo).

Perhaps others here will chime in with their experiences, but personally, I would think carefully about pursuing bariatric surgery – specifically, the surgical risk as well as the lifestyle changes that would be required afterward.

For myself, I am doing my best to stay active, be mindful, and eat nutrient-dense foods. (Of course, all of that came off the rails during the holidays…)

Take care – and please keep us posted on your decision!

Liz1967

I had a thyroidectomy three years ago. I gained some weight, less than ten pounds, but it was due to the high doses of steroids I was on intermittently for the eye disease. I do keep my TSH around 1, which is the recommended value for those with no thyroid. Some doctors are not aware of this, as the recommendation has changed in the past few years. Any higher, even within “normal” lab range, and weird things happen, like body hair loss, even though I might feel good. I ignore FT4 as long as it is in normal range, and it always is. Wondering if you are not taking enough levothyroxine. I have never had my TSH above about 1.5 long enough to have gained weight, but I would think being on the hypo side would cause weight issues. On the other hand, if you are hyper, which I was was at diagnosis, I was so hungry all the time I ate constantly and put on a few pounds that were quickly lost with treatment.

mgabelson

My last TSH was 1.58 in September. It’s been that for about a year now. I’m on 87 Levothyroxine and also 5mcg Liothyronine.

Liz1967

In looking at the literature, it does seem weight gain during the first year post TT or RAI is not uncommon. Some studies indicate once normal hormone levels are reached in the first year, things stabilize and weight loss occurs. Other studies say no correlation between hormone levels and weight gain! I did see some mention of low T3 being associated with no weight gain and in my case, the few times FT3 has been tested (preop eye surgery) it is usually low normal. I worked for bariatric surgeons and the surgery is successful but does require lifetime follow-up and lots of diligence. Most patients were happy they did it, but there are some side effects as well as failures. Being overweight is a big health risk especially with a family history.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.