Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I also had some cough and dry throat after the surgery, which happened because of the breathing tube. Using some mild cough drops it was gone after a couple of days.
      I hope you feel much better soon.

Hugs.
      Barbra.

Turquoise

I’m also new. I was diagnosed with Graves a couple of months ago, the outcome of a doctor finally taking seriously my complaints of several years of unexplained weight loss. My endocrinologist recommended radioactive iodine therapy, and after several rescheduled appointments due to various conflicts that arose, I’m scheduled for treatment in about three weeks. Will this stop and/or reverse the weight loss (at least 20 pounds over the course of perhaps three years, maybe longer, and still dropping despite my efforts to eat more)? While at first I was pleased to lose a few pounds, I’m below a point that I consider appropriate or perhaps even healthy.
        I’m also unsure what else to expect following treatment. So far I have no eye symptoms, but I regularly see an eye doctor anyway and am due for another checkup, which I’ll set up after I’ve had the treatment. Due to a change in my insurance plan for 2018, I have to choose a new optometrist.
        Can anyone give me any clues as to what I’m in for? I understand that with not just this disease but many others, the symptoms and the effects of treatment, whether it’s medication, surgery, or anything else, can vary significantly for each individual.

mdpw715

Hi Turquoise,
          I’m so sorry to hear that you have been dealing with Graves for so long. In response to your post, I did not have RAI treatment even though both my endocrinologist and surgeon recommended it as a first line treatment option. Due to the fact that I have a high family history of cancers, I chose to go with the surgical option of a total thyroidectomy instead. I know people that opted for the RAI without any problems or issues so I want you to know that this was MY option and what I felt comfortable doing for my own personal situation. The surgery was really easy, absolutely no pain, never even took a Tylenol! I am 4 1/2 weeks post op and I feel great. They are still adjusting my Levo since it’s still a bit high and putting me into a bit of the hyperthyroid symptoms…hot, insomnia etc. but it’s really not a big deal at all. I also lost a lot of weight..40 pounds and a lot of muscle mass and stamina. In all honesty, the muscle mass loss is the biggest issues since I am (usually) very active and athletic. Again, at 4 1/2 weeks post op, I have gained 3 1/2 pounds so thats good but will admit, I still don’t have much of an appetite. I have also decided to stick with the gluten and dairy free way of eating since that actually makes me feel better, is suggested for autoimmune diseases and actually makes me feel better anyway. I have had my eyes checked throughly and have not had any issues with my eyes so I can’t help you with that other than saying good job on keeping on top of checking up on it. I understand what your dealing with but want you to know that after my surgery, literally in the recovery room, I was a totally different person, I felt happy, calm, my tremors were gone and I was at total peace with my decision. I am now off all my beta blockers for the racing heart and even with the minor medicine adjustments, I feel like myself for the first time in over 2 years. Take heart, there is a light at the end of the tunnel…do all your research and be a peace with your decision before you do it!

Koala1963

Just wondering where you are located. On here I just started to read. Would be good to know of best surgeons who have most experience . I am in RI.

Kimberly
            Online Facilitator

@koala1963 – Hello and welcome…a good place to start is the patient site for the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons. If you scroll down to the bottom, there is an option to “Find an Experienced Surgeon Near You.”

http://endocrinediseases.org/

MaestraMadre

Thank you for the very informative posts. I am having trouble finding the meaning of the acronyms, however. What is TT? I found RAI and PTU online. I was just diagnosed with Graves Disease and am studying up on it. Thank you!

Kimberly
                Online Facilitator

Hello and welcome!

TT = Total thyroidectomy

If you have a specific topic of interest, you can use the “search posts” feature while you are logged in.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.