Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

This disease can surly get you depressed. I too have Graves’ and am wondering myself of the concerns you posted. I was diag. on the 19th of this month but am sure I had it long before. This site brings such encouragement and it’s great to know we can come here for support. Take care, Kristi :)

Anonymous

Hi, there! I’m 27 and was diagnosed with Graves’ Disease last February. What a wonderful site and BB this is! I have been back and forth to this site, reading other people’s testimonies for the past month or so. I found it to be very helpful, and I am relieved that I’m not alone. When diagnosed, my doctor put me on PTU and on beta-blocker. Sometime in March, I went into hypothyroid and the doctor told me to stop taking PTU, but continued to be on beta-blockers. After awhile, I was doing fine. Yet between two to three weeks ago, I started to feel fatigued. My throat hurts and it always felt like there was a pressure in my neck. Sometimes, I would wake up because I was in pain, and it would take me awhile to get back to sleep because it felt like I was choking. My eyes would also get red and watery. Finally, my doctor put me back on PTU but lowered my dosage after testing my TSH and FT4.
        When I was first diagnosed, I was told that Graves can be treated and never come back, but it was also possible that it can recur. I really hoped that mine would be the first case. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look promising. I try to think that what’s important is that I am getting treatment, but a little depressed and frustrated. I have also read about the eyes getting affected by Graves. I have to admit that this is scaring me as well.
        Can anyone give me some words of advice and encourgement? I’d really appreciate it. Thanks.

Anonymous

Dear helenistic,
          It’s normal to be scared by all this, there is just a lot going on with your body right now and it’s confusing. Getting depressed is normal. I just wanted to highly encourage you to get a book like the ones listed on the ngdf.org’s book list to help you understand what is going on with your body.

The first thing you need to know is that once you have Graves’ disease you always have it. But don’t let that get you down because it is totally treatable!

The second thing to keep in mind is not everyone has eye issues with all this. Best not to worry about it unless it happens to you and requires your attention.

I have Graves’ and my life is very good right now, in otherwords there is life to be had after getting through it! I promise it does get better. The diagnosis and treatment stage is the toughest to get through, but it does get better.

Hang in there and good luck. I hope I have said something that helps you to feel better.
          ~Joni

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.