Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’m 55 and diagnosed with graves in April. I’m due to have surgery on Friday and I feel everything has gone to fast and I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m taking meds but my liver numbers keep rising so we decided to take the thyroid out. Then I googled the procedure and there are so many people that say they are sorry they had it removed . Any suggestions?

Kimberly
      Online Facilitator

Hello and welcome – we actually have many members here who had thyroid surgery and were happy with the outcome. Here are some additional links that might be of interest…

(Note on links: if you click directly on the following links, you will need to use your browser’s “back” button to return to the boards after viewing, or you will have to log back in to the forum. As an alternative, you can right-click the link and open it in a new tab or new window).

The American Association of Endocrine Surgeons has a nice patient education site: http://www.endocrinediseases.org/

GDATF Bulletin on Thyroid Surgery: http://gdatf.org/about/about-graves-disease/patient-education/thyroidectomy-for-graves-surgical-option/

Presentation from our 2012 conference in San Diego:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BfIbnrvmjY

You can also use the “Search Posts” feature in the top right-hand corner of the screen to look for posts with keywords such as thyroidectomy or “thyroid surgery”. (You have to be logged in to use this feature.

Wishing you all the best!

Liz1967

I had total thyroidectomy for Graves and it was the best thing I ever did. No regrets, feel fine.

snelsen

I had a thyroidectomy, and it was the BEST thing I have ever done. No regrets, feel fine. Never looked back. I had a personal preference on no RAI, not ever. I feel the same today.

It’s been a long time, but I logged quite a bit about it at the time.

genuinruby
              Pharmon wrote:
              Hi, I’m 55 and diagnosed with graves in April. I’m due to have surgery on Friday and I feel everything has gone to fast and I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m taking meds but my liver numbers keep rising so we decided to take the thyroid out. Then I googled the procedure and there are so many people that say they are sorry they had it removed . Any suggestions?

Today is Friday…so perhaps you have had your TT… For me, it was the hardest decision I have ever had to make. I spent 3 years trying to decide and like you the meds messed with my liver numbers…and you can’t live without your liver either. So I chose TT and that was Fall of 2010. Do I wish it could have been different? Of course. Do I think I could have kept going without having the surgery? No. I believe it was the best of the choices I had to choose from. The rollercoaster of Graves was not a good choice for me. I did not want to do RAI as I was having eye issues. Today, 6 and a half years later, I have minimal eye issues that only flare up if I get feeling a little on the hyper side. Tiny dose adjustments and in a very short time, everything goes back to normal. You will learn to know yourself so well. keep in mind that it takes a while for your body to adapt to the Replacement meds. For some of us, a few months of wondering if we are ever going to feel normal again. Other’s the change was profoundly immediate and fantastic. I hope it works that way for you.Either way, my advice is to “Believe that your choice is the right one for you” – then it will be. I will be watching for your follow up posts, hoping that all goes well.

~Ruby in Reno

snelsen

Hi Pharmon,

how are you doing now??? As I said in my original post it was the best thing I could have done for myself.

Shirley

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.