Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
      Post count: 93172

      Hi, Kristy!

      I hope that Denise’s article will help you and your family understand
      and cope a little easier. Best wishes to you!

      Also, I’m glad that your doctor has referred you to an ophthalmologist.
      Any person with Graves’ disease that starts to have eye symptoms needs
      to be evaluated by an ophthal. who is knowledgeable about Graves’.
      The eye pain you’re experiencing *could* be because of pressure on the
      optic nerve (which can lead to vision problems), or because you have
      some slight protrusion and your eyes are drying out (even if they
      don’t feel like they’re dry). Like Kathleen said, try using
      artificial tears (Celluvisc, Tears Naturale, HypoTears) during the
      day, and/or a lubricating ointment (LacriLube, Refresh PM, Tears
      Renewed) at night. Keeping your eyes moist may help with your

      Also, here is some info about your upcoming appointment.
      from “Your Thyroid, A Home Reference” (Wood, Cooper, Ridgway):
      p. 105 “It should be pointed out that thyroid eye disease does not
      necessarily progress in an orderly fashion from mild to severe in any
      given patient. In fact a rapid decrease in vision can occur due to
      pressure upon the optic nerve in a patient with only minimal swelling
      of the eyelids. For this reason, if you have Graves’ disease and begin
      to show signs of eye trouble, you should have a complete eye examination.
      If your eye involvement is severe, your physician may refer you to an
      ophthalmologist (eye specialist), who will have at his or her disposal
      all of the equipment needed to evaluate the various eye problems that
      may occur in Graves’ disease. Your vision can be accurately tested.
      The amount of eye protrusion can be accurately measured with an
      exophthalmometer. The cornea and other tissues of your eye can be
      examined by the use of a microscopelike instrument known as a slit
      lamp. Ultrasound pictures of your eye and eye socket (orbit) may be
      taken, using sound waves in a technique similar to radar. Alternatively
      your physician may request special X rays of your orbits done by
      computerized tomography (CT scan), or by a newer technique called
      magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). These techniques will provide a
      clear picture of the inflamed tissues behind your eye.”

      Wishing you health and happines, Debby

        Post count: 93172

        I went to my endo today about the pain I have been
        having for a week in my right eye. He didn’t really
        know what to make of it, because I don’t have any
        other classic symptoms of Graves’ eye disease along
        with the pressure pain. I am being referred to an
        opthomologist early next week. My endo said he wanted
        the optho to rule out glaucoma and something else
        I can’t remember right now before he checks into
        the idea that it may be Graves’ eye disease related.
        I am really scared about something being wrong with
        my eyes. I know that having Graves’ is hard enough,
        but the idea of having something wrong with my eyes
        just frightens me. Wish me luck and I will update
        after my optho appt. Thanks to all who replied to
        my original post.


      Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.