Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Thanks for the info Pam but what is a MVP? I take it that this means a problem with a heart valve?

Bruce

Anonymous

Mitral Valve Prolapse, or MVP, occurs in many individuals, mainly tall, slender people. It is often a congenital disorder, and is not necessarily a result of Graves, or any other disease, nor is it always a precursor to thyroid problems. It can be caused by an untreated strep infection, such as Rheumatic Fever, but not all people who have it got it from an associated illness. Three of my friends in college, who were athletes, suffered from this condition, as well as my niece for about the first two years of her life. All are in almost perfect health now, and two of them outgrew MVP by the time they were in their late 20’s. None of them would have ever known they had it, until the physicals required to run track. Another friend’s was discovered when she was pregnant.

Since white blood cell production is compromised when anti-thyroid drugs are taken, it is really important to stop the medication and call the doctor immediately, if you feel like you are getting a sore throat, earache or avcessed tooth. This is the case with anyone on the drugs, but is even more critical when the patient has MVP. Those with MVP are at greater risk of infection in and around the heart.

Pam

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.